Thread: Pine Creek Question

Pine Creek Question

We went through pine creek for the 3rd time and had the lowest water I've seen. There was barely any water at the end of the long free hanging rappel. When we got to the small obstacle after the long rappel we noticed the water was about knee deep at best. We normally downclimb/slide into this pool, but didn't like the water level today. I setup a quick cairn anchor and we exited no problem. I could've probably just set a meat anchor for the rest of the group and climbed down myself, but didn't. We may have been ok sliding too it just seemed more shallow than normal. What is the typical way through this portion when the pool at the end is shallow? Thanks for the info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pine Creek Question

Are you talking about the alternate rappel into the alcove, off the bolts on the boulder? If so I've always been able to down climb that by staying in the LDC side. There is a crack there, plus friction from the rock makes it pretty easy. Water levels should not matter.

No, I don't have a picture, but I found this one. It is the 3rd to the last picture on this page.

http://timothypluta.com/?p=884

It is the picture labeled
    "April sliding down the final obstacle into a spring fed pool"

This is what I normally have done, but the water seemed much lower this time. Does everyone just slide down this?

I don't remember using any ropes after rapping down into the alcove, so I'm sure I slid down that as well.

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Ever since Tom installed the alternative final rap anchor, we have used it, and in the pink rock near the LH wall there are plenty of foot/hand holds to make the slide into the final pool a relaxed and elegant affair, even if the water levels are quite low.

That said, when we went through less than a month ago, there was more water in PC than I have ever seen in perhaps a dozen trips at different times of year since 2010. And boy, was it cold!

We went through last Saturday and water was as high as I've seen it. The last down climb was into knee/thigh deep water but was a relatively easy static downclimb.

You've got some sweet pics on your site.

Isn't it strange with all of the severe flash flood warnings and all the rain lately, that these canyons have very low water levels? The same was with Subway and Orderville when we were there a week ago, lowest levels we've personally seen.

Isn't it strange with all of the severe flash flood warnings and all the rain lately, that these canyons have very low water levels?
    According to Burly's post (to posts ago), the water was as high as he's ever seen.

Orderville and Subway's water is fed by springs, rather than pools from flash floods, so the water level doesn't change much (unless you are there during the flash flood or during snowmelt). Water levels in Das Boot or Upper Left Fork would be affected.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Went through mystery this week and it was done dry. Didn't even get my feet wet till the mystery springs rappel. Spring was flowing good though.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    According to Burly's post (to posts ago), the water was as high as he's ever seen.

Orderville and Subway's water is fed by springs, rather than pools from flash floods, so the water level doesn't change much (unless you are there during the flash flood or during snowmelt). Water levels in Das Boot or Upper Left Fork would be affected.
    Well.. I suppose technically you are correct. But the BOTTOM of the pools changes heights based on sand washing in or out. Currently, sand in Pine Creek is at a historically high level, meaning that the pools are considerably less deep than they have been the last decade or so.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerlodge View Post
    No, I don't have a picture, but I found this one. It is the 3rd to the last picture on this page.

http://timothypluta.com/?p=884

It is the picture labeled
    "April sliding down the final obstacle into a spring fed pool"

This is what I normally have done, but the water seemed much lower this time. Does everyone just slide down this?
    Great pictures on Tim's site!

Even with no water in the pool, it is not very high. The picture is deceptive (Tim likes the wide angle lens). There are some 'moki steps' that make it climbable and it is entirely possible to downclimb it fully static. But KUDOs to you for taking the safe approach and building an anchor. Could also meat people down, then catch the last person.

Often it is a good idea to meat an experienced person down, so they can then communicate a judgment on whether it is downclimbable and/or catchable, and provide a spot for the less-burley persons in the group.