Thread: Mini canyon near head of orderville

Mini canyon near head of orderville

Looking for route info or coordinates for a mini canyon near head of Orderville. Zion Ponderosa supposedly takes people on there 1/2 day trips? Anybody have details?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Birch Hollow is the canyon that the ZP guides.

Birch Hollow
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/birch1.htm

Birch is their "whole day" trip. Supposedly have a half day route near head of Orderville.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Birch Hollow is the canyon that the ZP guides.

Birch Hollow
    http://climb-utah.com/Zion/birch1.htm

Mini canyon near head of orderville

Edit

Supposedly have a half day route near head of Orderville.
    In the Orderville system, I don't think there are any canyon trips shorter than Birch. There are short canyons closer to the North Fork Virgin River.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Birch is only 2 hours, 3 hours at the most, the way the ZP does it with a shuttle down to the top of Orderville.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    In the Orderville system, I don't think there are any canyon trips shorter than Birch. There are short canyons closer to the North Fork Virgin River.
    ???

How about Walker?

How about Esplin?

There is also a drop in upper Orderville, not too far below the lower carpark, which affords one rappel that looks fairly good, actually. I know ZP guides that one.

Tom

How about Walker?

How about Esplin?
    Those are really shorter than Birch (including approaches)? What route would you take into Esplin to make it shorter than Birch? I guess I could see Walker, but how much is it shorter than Birch? I thought they were supposed to be fairly similar, time wise.

There is also a drop in upper Orderville, not too far below the lower carpark, which affords one rappel that looks fairly good, actually.

Could be what he is referring to, though it's not really a separate canyon. That's that drop you walk around on the standard Orderville route.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

When ZP takes guests to do Orderville they drive them down to the top of the dryfall and have them rappel off the top. They than gather all the tech gear and use the walk around to return to the top after sending their guests downstream.

I've never heard of ZP using this drop alone as an adventure as its always part of their day long Orderville trip, but I guess they could. At one time I had really great connections with the ZP, knew all their routes and interworkings, and would do a lot of canyons with their guides and other employees, but that was 10 years ago and the friends I had at ZP have moved on to other things.

FWIW- Their was also a time when ZP was guiding Englestead, but I don't think they have done it for years and it's much longer than Birch.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Those are really shorter than Birch (including approaches)? What route would you take into Esplin to make it shorter than Birch? I guess I could see Walker, but how much is it shorter than Birch? I thought they were supposed to be fairly similar, time wise.
    I guess you guyz are such canyon-Godz these days that you don't even notice, but...

Birch Hollow is a full-day canyon with clients, and I suspect, with most private groups. Walker has one or two rappels at best. From the Carpark down IN Orderville, it is a half-day canyon.

T

I guess you guyz are such canyon-Godz these days that you don't even notice, but...
    If you noticed, I put a question mark in the statement. I haven't done those other canyons, but was under the impression that they weren't any shorter than Birch. I was just trying to be helpful to the original poster.

13. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Why go all the way out there for a mini canyon? Birch isn't mini enough? Are you continuing down Orderville?

-Curious