Thread: Sundance Canyon June 2015

Sundance Canyon June 2015

Took a couple of lapsed climbers out to Sundance. Their first canyon, and one I'd been wanting to do for a while.

Drop-in is incredibly easy, and seemed more so when my last few canyons were in the Superstitions; approaches full of teddybear cholla, catclaw, and exposed climbing on crumbly rock...

I was surprised by the lack of established anchors at a few of the early drops. This was actually more fun, as it provided opportunities to show and use some ghosting tricks.

Used a fiddlestick on the first one. All well until I managed to knock the stick into the cold murk while bagging rope. After a half dozen unsuccessful dives among the rotting logs failed to locate it, I gave up (next time, bring goggles!). The water is cold to an evil degree. I think I'd bring a wetsuit even midsummer.

The next drop was also unanchored, so we did a double-ring-sling and retrieved the sling with pullcord. First time doing that, but it worked great.

Having seen an "R" designator on its classification for a couple of potential keepers, I went in with an etrier and two potshots, all ready for trouble. Didn't touch any of it. Recent rains had the pools all topped off. The most intimidating pothole required only a little belly crawling.

Final drops were well-bolted. The 180 (+?) final, with its 130ish of free-hang into a cove off the banks of West Clear Creek, is just a big, gorgeous thrill.

Easy, pretty hike out down Clear Creek, then a steep but easily followed switchback grind back up to the trailhead.

Here's the vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qct3rYBYUOo

2. Likes ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sundance is a great short canyon. In all the times I have been through it has always been full enough to just do a beached whale out of the pot holes. Sundance sees a lot of traffic so I am also surprised those early drops did not have any anchors. However, when the water levels are full you really don't need them. you can down climb those drops and when it gets steep near the bottom you jump/fall into the deep cold water.