Thread: TONS of little kids in Keyhole on Saturday - also was there an accident in East Zion?

TONS of little kids in Keyhole on Saturday - also was there an accident in East Zion?

On Saturday some friends and I had a little time so we decided to drop down Keyhole, on the approach there was a group of 4 adults and about 200 young kids. Ok maybe not that many but probably 8-10 kids under 8 years old, some that looked to be about 3-4 years old wearing bike helmets and life jackets and no wetsuits in sight (could be in backpacks, I couldn't tell). We hiked fast around them to avoid the blockade, but as soon as we came to the first rap there was another group of small kids! This time probably only 4 kids and they were a bit older, maybe 8-10 years old. These ones had full wetsuits and proper climbing helmets.
    They were very kind to let us pass their group and use their rope.

The canyon was as full as possible with a small trickle of warmish water filling it, but the first rap was a swimmer and felt decently cold. Not cold for an adult with a wetsuit, and although I'm all about introducing kids to it early on, I really questioned bringing all those small kids down with it full. This was on a 78 degree day. I am curious if any the parents are on the forum here and could comment on how it went. I can imagine it was quite a day, unless those kids are super hard core!

We were able to pass another group of beginners on the 2nd rap and finished the canyon in about 45 minutes, it was pretty cold at the last swim but not unbearable. The last hole felt like a hot tub in the sun.

Later on we saw two police vehicles speeding up the switchbacks with lights blaring, there was already an ambulance and what looked like SAR vehicles below the second tunnel, so I was really hoping it wasn't related to any of those many kids.

Anyone know what happened?

2. Likes nkanarik liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My kids were doing Keyhole (along with Mystery, Subway, Yankee Doodle, and many others) when they were 4 and 5. We didn't use wetsuits as properly fitting very young children with a wetsuit is nearly impossible. On the long swims my kids would ride on my back so they really only got wet from the waist down. I also had a warm fleece for them if they became chilled.

To me canyoneering is more about family and friends and less about hardcore. My kids have now become adults but have always remained extremely close to me and I credit canyoneering with helping me accomplished that goal.

I see no issues with young kids canyoneering so long as the ability to guide the kids through your chosen canyon is well within your skill set. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I see no issues with young kids canyoneering so long as the ability to guide the kids through your chosen canyon is well within your skill set.
    I see no issue either, I was more concerned with the number of kids in the cold water with the number of adults I saw- and if it was in any way related to the police cars.

Quote Originally Posted by nieder View Post
    I was more concerned with the number of kids in the cold water with the number of adults I saw.
    Number of guides to clients is always a big issue, and when canyoneering with kids you are really doing nothing but guiding. If the clients (kids in this case) were forced to stand and freeze than the canyon is obviously outside the skill set of the guides (adults/parents).

FWIW- I think most professional guide services like to keep the client to guide ration in the 2/1 or 3/1 range.

Very often the issue is beginners taking other beginners through canyons. There is not a understanding of how fast and how much conditions can change in a canyon. Sand levels changing, log jams changing, raps appearing and/or disappearing, water levels and temperature changing.

Twice now after doing Das Boot / Subway, I've ran into a group at the new last rap to people who didn't have harnesses to get down. "I did it 10 years ago with 30' of webbing". I just give them my harness and go eat lunch. Tell them to drop it back off to me when they pass me down canyon. The Subway, Pine Creek & Keyhole are probably the worst for people going in unprepared

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post