Thread: Lambs Knoll - outside Zion - Beta? Longest Rappel?

Lambs Knoll - outside Zion - Beta? Longest Rappel?

I plan on taking my family to Lambs Knoll (just outside Zion park). I've done it in the past, but don't remember many of the details :).
    1. Does anyone know where I can find Beta?
    2. Does anyone know what the longest rappel is? I plan on bringing my 150' rope

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Lambs Knoll - outside Zion - Beta? Longest Rappel?

There are 2 known canyons in there called Snake Alley and Sidewinder. And I think a 3rd canyon is called Cooperhead?? Anyway, If I recall correctly....65ft is the tallest rap in Snake and 80ft or so in Sidewinder.?? I don't recall a rap being over 150ft though.....but....I would obviously double-check. :P

I'm sure Tom can correct me here or just PM you. There isn't much beta about it online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I have never seen any beta for it. We messed around one day over there and found a total of 4 different routes down from the top. I personally like Yankee, Boltergiest and Birch better for non permit canyons

It's a great place to burn an hour or so. Seems like longest rap is around 80 ft. Some can hang in the hall way while other make another loop.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    There are 2 known canyons in there called Snake Alley and Sidewinder. And I think a 3rd canyon is called Cooperhead?? Anyway, If I recall correctly....65ft is the tallest rap in Snake and 80ft or so in Sidewinder.?? I don't recall a rap being over 150ft though.....but....I would obviously double-check. :P

I'm sure Tom can correct me here or just PM you. There isn't much beta about it online.
    Copperhead - get it?

Name:  agkcon8.jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  17.9 KB

Seems like the longest rap is about 100 feet. There are quite a few alternate rappels.

Please note that Lamb's Knoll is the most-heavily used canyoneering venue in the State of Utah. The professional guide services that use it a LOT have learned to dance together well. Please try to dance well with whomever you find up there.

Tom

7. Likes jman liked this post
    Thank you all. This is one of my backup options with the family in case that Keyhole turns out to be too cold for my daughters :)

You could always do the Huntress near Kanab which is also family friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonater View Post
    You could always do the Huntress near Kanab which is also family friendly
    You have my attention . Do you have Beta for it?

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/the-huntress.18163/

Only a 30 minute canyon. Will take you longer to drive there than the canyon does. Tag team it with Cat Stair canyon which is right by it

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/the-huntress.18163/

Only a 30 minute canyon. Will take you longer to drive there than the canyon does. Tag team it with Cat Stair canyon which is right by it
    Awesome! Thanks. I might combine it with Upper Red Cave.

BTW...Beta shows 3-5 hrs. while you say 30 mins...which one is it? :)

Yeah its not 30 minutes. If you go solo and bypass all the obstacles then yeah maybe. When going with your family expect 3-4 hours total. Its also called Diana's Throne. I think beta is easier to find under that name. Road trip Ryan has good beta for it.

Sorry. I wasn't very specific at all. Short technical section but as stated will be 2-4 hours round trip. There are plenty of TR posted on here that you can read

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonater View Post
    Yeah its not 30 minutes. If you go solo and bypass all the obstacles then yeah maybe. When going with your family expect 3-4 hours total. Its also called Diana's Throne. I think beta is easier to find under that name. Road trip Ryan has good beta for it.
    Thanks. Seems like the Road Trip Ryan and Canyon Collective Betas are slightly different (different start and end points)...will manage when I'm there

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Thanks. Seems like the Road Trip Ryan and Canyon Collective Betas are slightly different (different start and end points)...will manage when I'm there
    The 'canyon portions' are very discontinuous, so there are lots of options on how to link things together.

Tom

17. Likes 2065toyota liked this post