Thread: Downhill Robbery

Downhill Robbery

You know how it is, you pack the extra heavy bike up the hill because you're looking for that awesome downhill ride. You're a working man so you go when you can after work and when you get a Kitchen Pass. You pull into the parking lot and see a stack of cars, more than you've ever seen at your favorite trail parking lot. You're thinking, it's no big deal, they can't all possibly be on this trail at the same time, that would be crazy.

You huff your big bike up to the top, now it's reward time!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    What trail?
    I wanna say... Sardine Peak?

That's ridiculous. No way would I ever deal with that. I'm a big fan of earning your downhill and that would be really frustrating. Occasionally on a weekend there may be hikers on some of the trails here, rarely a few horses, but nothing like that video. Some of the Charleston trails can be crowded but most of the bike trails are not popular with the hikers, which means that when you do come around a turn and there's a hiker it can be pretty surprising. I've eaten it pretty hard because of that.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Corner canyon can get a bit busy at times, fortunately there are enough trails that you can usually find something mpre rideable. But when it's really busy... there are a couple trails that are signed as downhill only, and though hiking is allowed you rarrely see them on one!.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    What trail?
    @dgw2jr was close, I left out Sardine on this one and just came back down from Ogden Overlook.

This was the busiest I've seen it. I went the following night and made the Sardine loop down through Icebox, much better ride.

That is the good and bad about the Wasatch Front. Great riding on our doorstep! Also, great riding and hiking on the doorstep of a million other people. My ride down Little Cottonwood Creek last week was about the same.

For that reason, I do really like the directional trails. Corner Canyon can be very crowded, but at least I know I can come down the hill and not come across a ton of people.

i just Experienced downhill robbery worse than i ever have before. I Get up early for a 6 am ride at muller thinking I'll beat the heat and the traffic. Well i beat the heat and that is it. I've probably ridden that trail over 50 times and i have never ever seen it that busy. It literally was like driving I-15 during rush hour. Going up i didn't see that many people, but on the way down....i bet stopped and pulled over about 10-15 times (i always try and yeild to up traffic). and it wasn't just one or two bikes coming up, there were about 5 or 6 in each group that passed us while we were pulled over. Tons of hikers as well. But all in all it was a good ride, just don't know where they all came from. A slow ride beats no ride.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpecialized View Post
    i just Experienced downhill robbery worse than i ever have before. I Get up early for a 6 am ride at muller thinking I'll beat the heart and the traffic. Well i beat the heat and that is it. I've probably ridden that trail over 50 times and i have never ever seen it that busy. It literally was like driving I-15 during rush hour. Going up i didn't see that many people, but on the way down....i bet stopped and pulled over about 10-15 times (i always try and yeild to up traffic). and it wasn't just one or two bikes coming up, there were about 5 or 6 in each group that passed us while we were pulled over. Tons of hikers as well. But all in all it was a good ride, just don't know where they all came from. A slow ride beats no ride.

I think a lot of folks are taking a long-extended holiday weekend. I'm guessing my Friday early morning ride will be a zoo.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpecialized View Post
    i just Experienced downhill robbery worse than i ever have before. I Get up early for a 6 am ride at muller thinking I'll beat the heart and the traffic. Well i beat the heat and that is it. I've probably ridden that trail over 50 times and i have never ever seen it that busy. It literally was like driving I-15 during rush hour. Going up i didn't see that many people, but on the way down....i bet stopped and pulled over about 10-15 times (i always try and yeild to up traffic). and it wasn't just one or two bikes coming up, there were about 5 or 6 in each group that passed us while we were pulled over. Tons of hikers as well. But all in all it was a good ride, just don't know where they all came from. A slow ride beats no ride.

They all came from Bountiful, North Salt Lake, Farmington, Kaysville, Centerville, Layton...

But seriously, the prevailing advice on the internet right now is that if you want to do anything outside you need to get out before 6am. So that is what everyone is doing now.

Here's the latest version from this same trail. Although it's a great trail and can get crowded, I suggest to ride up it and connect to the Sardine Peak section, much less crowded.