Thread: Utah NP fee increase

Utah NP fee increase

Three National Parks and one National Monument in Utah increased entrance fees today.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=34751110

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They actually go into effect July 1, 2015. So we still have another month.

I visited Moab twice in May. Glad I got those trips in....
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Anyone visiting national parks more than 3 times a year, which is probably most on here, should be buying an all national park year pass. I bought a new one last month and it was $80 I think. Even if they raise that, it's by far the way to go. Mine gets used 40 to 50 times a year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Anyone visiting national parks more than 3 times a year, which is probably most on here, should be buying an all national park year pass. I bought a new one last month and it was $80 I think. Even if they raise that, it's by far the way to go. Mine gets used 40 to 50 times a year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    This. It pays for itself.

Also, a few bucks for an entrance fee is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of fuel to get there and lodging or camping while you are there.

I third the park pass. Been buying them for years.

Yep, me too. It's been $80/year for awhile now. It also works for AF canyon, which is nice.

Some people only have to pay$10...good for life. I won't mention any names...

Name:  Interagency_Senior_Pass.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  157.3 KB

10. Likes jman, 2065toyota liked this post

Senior citizen - you kids get off my grass.

13. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    I opted to not get the annual park pass. My son is going into the 4th grade so he will get a free pass for this upcoming school year.

How does that help you?

Because next school year all 4th graders and their families get a free annual pass so it will help save 80.00 that would normally be spent.

I never heard of this until now....

Millions of Families Will Soon Get Free Admission at National Parks

A new initiative called Every Kid in a Park will give fourth graders and their families free admission to national parks and recreation areas for a full year.

President Obama will be in Chicago on Thursday to designate the Pullman District as a National Monument. While he’s there, Obama will also introduce a very special program called Every Kid in a Park that will provide free admission to fourth graders and their families at national parks, forests, monuments, and other federal lands for a year.

The Every Kid in a Park initiative will be available to families at the start of the 2015-2016 school year, in advance of the 100th anniversary of the National Parks Service being celebrated in 2016. How it works is that next fall, all interested families with fourth graders will essentially be provided with a free annual pass (normal cost: $80) granting admission to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites, including world-famous national parks like Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Grand Canyon—which each normally charges $25 to $30 per vehicle for a seven-day pass.

The program is “a call to action to get all children to visit and enjoy America’s unparalleled outdoors,” a White House press release explains. “Today, more than 80 percent of American families live in urban areas, and many lack easy access to safe outdoor spaces. At the same time, kids are spending more time than ever in front of screens instead of outside.”

Why only families with fourth graders? Presumably, it would be too costly—and likely, too crowded at the parks—to give free admission to everyone. What’s more, the thinking is likely that fourth grade is an ideal time to expose children to the wonders of the outdoors, with the hope that doing so promotes a lifelong interest and appreciation of nature.

The initiative actually has a parallel in the ski industry. Around the country, Vermont, New Hampshire, Colorado, and several other ski-friendly states offer ski and snowboard passport programs that typically provide a season’s worth of free lift passes for fourth or fifth graders. The concept makes sense because kids don’t go to the mountains alone; their families generally come along, and they spend money at the resorts. The program also obviously helps get kids interested in winter mountain sports, potentially turning them into paying customers for years to come.

Likewise, free admission will nudge families into visiting national parks and recreation areas. And ideally, the kids who go hiking and camping and whatnot will fall in the love with the experience, and become lifelong visitors and supporters of the parks and the great outdoors.

As for those who don’t have a fourth grader in the house, you’re not entirely left out of the freebies. Every year, the National Park Service lists a handful of fee-free days, when admission is free for all visitors. Last weekend, in fact, admission was free in honor of President’s Day. The next freebie event is the weekend of April 18-19, which kicks off National Parks week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I never heard of this until now....

Millions of Families Will Soon Get Free Admission at National Parks

A new initiative called Every Kid in a Park will give fourth graders and their families free admission to national parks and recreation areas for a full year.

President Obama will be in Chicago on Thursday to designate the Pullman District as a National Monument. While he’s there, Obama will also introduce a very special program called Every Kid in a Park that will provide free admission to fourth graders and their families at national parks, forests, monuments, and other federal lands for a year.

The Every Kid in a Park initiative will be available to families at the start of the 2015-2016 school year, in advance of the 100th anniversary of the National Parks Service being celebrated in 2016. How it works is that next fall, all interested families with fourth graders will essentially be provided with a free annual pass (normal cost: $80) granting admission to more than 2,000 federal recreation sites, including world-famous national parks like Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Grand Canyon—which each normally charges $25 to $30 per vehicle for a seven-day pass.

The program is “a call to action to get all children to visit and enjoy America’s unparalleled outdoors,” a White House press release explains. “Today, more than 80 percent of American families live in urban areas, and many lack easy access to safe outdoor spaces. At the same time, kids are spending more time than ever in front of screens instead of outside.”

Why only families with fourth graders? Presumably, it would be too costly—and likely, too crowded at the parks—to give free admission to everyone. What’s more, the thinking is likely that fourth grade is an ideal time to expose children to the wonders of the outdoors, with the hope that doing so promotes a lifelong interest and appreciation of nature.

The initiative actually has a parallel in the ski industry. Around the country, Vermont, New Hampshire, Colorado, and several other ski-friendly states offer ski and snowboard passport programs that typically provide a season’s worth of free lift passes for fourth or fifth graders. The concept makes sense because kids don’t go to the mountains alone; their families generally come along, and they spend money at the resorts. The program also obviously helps get kids interested in winter mountain sports, potentially turning them into paying customers for years to come.

Likewise, free admission will nudge families into visiting national parks and recreation areas. And ideally, the kids who go hiking and camping and whatnot will fall in the love with the experience, and become lifelong visitors and supporters of the parks and the great outdoors.

As for those who don’t have a fourth grader in the house, you’re not entirely left out of the freebies. Every year, the National Park Service lists a handful of fee-free days, when admission is free for all visitors. Last weekend, in fact, admission was free in honor of President’s Day. The next freebie event is the weekend of April 18-19, which kicks off National Parks week.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing this Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I just wish they would change this to every kid in high school or college

Or maybe Congress could just fund our National Parks like they should. Take care of the billions $ in backlog maintenance alone would be incredible.
    I completely agree with user fees - have bought an annual pass every year since I moved West in 91 - but our Parks need to be funded properly.

21. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    They must have raised the price because of all the drones