Thread: New Rappel Device, the Sqwurel

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

New Rappel Device, the Sqwurel

Best rappel device EVER! I've used my proto for a year and a half, including 3 trips through Heaps plus other 300' rappels, and the 400' rap out of Heaps (direct). It is the best. Allows fine-tuning of the friction IN ACTION, so you can always have the exact right level of friction. Finally out and available at Luke's website and at mine:

http://bg-gear.com/store/index.php?m...roducts_id=117

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.com...tegory=2490786

Name:  sqwurel900.jpg
Views: 2692
Size:  42.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wth? How do you use that?

I ordered one.:)

5. Likes spinesnaper liked this post
    Mountain Man
    Dafuq. Can I say that?

7. Likes spinesnaper, Mojave Silence liked this post
    I ordered on too. I love new gear.

It looks like hybrid between a piranha, critter type device and a caving rappel rack?! I'm guessing you can thread through the three open squares at the bottom for extra friction as needed.
    Micah

11. Likes darhawk, hikster11, harness man liked this post
    Mine showed up. I think they have hit it on the head.

Mountain Man
    Tempting. But I end up double lining so much as LAMAR. Really prefer not having to overcome the block on a single line rap on the pull. The ATS does double well, though adding friction on double is beastly.

Is this one a mainly single strand device? Looks like double strand would get discombobulated in that thing..

Ok, now after watching the video, I see how 2 ropes can work...
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

15. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Mountain Man
    Got mine in the mail. Should be out next weekend to test!

I have been using the Sqwurel a lot lately. I've got to say the best rappel device ever. Amazing how you can add friction on the go. I've tried all of the different new devices over the years and this is the first I've ever used that worked as advertised. It's the bomb.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

New Rappel Device, the Sqwurel

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    I have been using the Sqwurel a lot lately. I've got to say the best rappel device ever. Amazing how you can add friction on the go. I've tried all of the different new devices over the years and this is the first I've ever used that worked as advertised. It's the bomb.

I'm tempted to get it - just to say that I have tried it. But...the Crittr2 has been so loyal to me... :teardrops:

Would you "upgrade" from the Crittr2 to the Sqwurel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Yes, you go over the edge on lowest setting. You add friction effortlessly on the way down. I've always been a glove user. First device I've ever used would be comfortable doing any size rappel without gloves. Only complaint it's a pain when walking etc. Even clipping it off to the side. The ladder hooks want to hook on everything. It's theeeee bomb.

Agreed. I loved the CRITR but this is better. Watch out for the hot tail after big raps. I have a collection of SQWURL burns on my left thigh. The size makes this a frequent occurrence unless you are wearing long pants or figure out how to secure it well after each rap. Other than that, I love it. It also makes a beautiful ring when struck properly, hence dubbed the "mindfulness SQWURL" in my group. A call to return to the present moment.

"I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

21. Likes jman liked this post
    Each device has its strengths and weaknesses. The SQWUREL excels at long, single line rappels. Nothing better out there for that but a rack. However, it doesn't handle doubled rope very well. The inevitable rope twists/crossings catch in the tail, making for clunky, annoying raps. Locking it off w/doubled rope is also not super nice. If you tend to favor DRT, the SQWUREL is probably not for you. Go CRITR, which works well for SRT and DRT.

23. Likes deagol, harness man, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    Each device has its strengths and weaknesses. The SQWUREL excels at long, single line rappels. Nothing better out there for that but a rack. However, it doesn't handle doubled rope very well. The inevitable rope twists/crossings catch in the tail, making for clunky, annoying raps. Locking it off w/doubled rope is also not super nice. If you tend to favor DRT, the SQWUREL is probably not for you. Go CRITR, which works well for SRT and DRT.
    Thanks for the insight.

Like Mark, but since using the Crittr2 I have completely stopped using gloves on longer raps. I think Tom recommends this route as you have more control of the rappel. And I would agree. I like feeling the entire rope in my bare hands.

Heck, I even did the last rap of Heaps on the Crittr2 with no gloves. Im not saying gloves are bad, but that the Crittr2 eliminated gloves for me.

Does ZAC sell the Sqwurel?

●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

25. Likes deagol, harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Im not saying gloves are bad, but that the Crittr2 eliminated gloves for me.

Does ZAC sell the Sqwurel?
    Gloves are not bad, but glove dependency is. Yes, ZAC sells SQWL and CRITR. Other than an ATC-XP type device for certain trips, why have anything else?

27. Likes harness man liked this post

29. Likes hank moon liked this post
    I have used the Totem, CRITR v.1 and the SQWERL on the 320' rap in Insomnia. The CRITR v.1 and the SQWERL were much smoother than the Totem and I prefered the SQWERL over the CRITR by a small margin, mostly due to the additional friction settigns which allowed me to complete the rappel with out gloves.

31. Likes deagol liked this post