Thread: Imlay: Crossroads Temperature Late June?

Imlay: Crossroads Temperature Late June?

Hello All,
    My team is looking to complete Imlay via sneak around June 26th. We are adequately prepared and equipped, however we have one question. Since we are planning to bivy at the crossroads we are trying to find an efficient, yet warm enough sleeping arrangement. Does anyone have a good idea of the average temperature at NIGHT TIME in the crossroads? Right now we are planning on sleeping in very small and light fleece sleep sacks, with an emergency bivy as an outer layer because of their compact nature. As far as getting off of the cold ground we are looking at sleeping on top of our wetsuits to add distance between the ground and the body. Does anyone with a similar experience have any advice?

Thanks in advanced,
    Mac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Your plan is sound. You need more than just a bivy sack or you will freeze your butt off... ask me how I know. A layer of fleece should be adequate. I now use a very lightweight summer sleeping bag rated at 60 degrees. It compresses to about the size of a softball and is perfect for overnight Imlay and Heaps. As a last resort if you really get cold you can put on your wetsuits, which should still be dry if entering through the sneak.

Sounds great! I can't wait!

I say get an extra early start and a parking permit for the emerald pools. I have done this twice now. For me, it has been about 4 hours to the cross roads via the sneak. Both times we were on the trail about 5:30 AM. With about 14 hours from car to car, one time I was back at the car before dark and the the other time, I used the 160 lumen headllight for the last mile of the Narrows. if you are concerned about needing extra daylight, an earlier alpine start means no camping gear. I don't know about Shane's sleeping bag but I have a 50 degree bag that weights just a pound but I would rather not carry if I don't have to.

Ken