Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Moab Gem: Whisper Canyon

A New Moab Gem: Whisper Canyon

It's too bad my current addiction in Utah is desert towers; it has been cutting into my canyoneering. I finally decided to make a sole canyoneering trip this season before the weather forecast took a turn for the worst.

One day provided acceptable weather but wasn't worth the long drive to the Swell or the North Wash from Denver. Despite still wanting to go canyoneering, there were some Moab canyon leads that I had on my back burner. We decided to check one of them out.

The drive sucks, the approach is long, hot, tricky and complex. We finally arrived at the start where the adventure began. A few tricky slickrock slides guided us to a “lush” section of canyon which then led us to the first mandatory rappel through a triple arch.

The start of Whisper Canyon.

Slickrock slides at the start.

Triple arch rap.

Triple arch rap.

After the triple arch rappel, the canyon involved fun potholes, down-climbs and swims. None of the potholes were “keepers,” unfortunately.

Potholes.

Swimmer.

More potholes.

Like most Moab canyons, the canyon ended quickly with two more unique rappels. The canyon is definitely one of the better Moab canyons and would rate it 4.5 out of 5 stars for the Moab Area. It's too bad the approach is so long, the canyon is short or it would be 5 out of 5 stars. The area also has potential for 2-3 more canyons which I am excited to return and explore.

2nd rappel.

Second rappel.

Last rappel.

After the canyon, we ended up rock climbing and bagging some towers before the weather rolled in. The trip ended with 4 unexpected new tower summits. So much for a sole canyoneering trip. Maybe next time....

2. Likes walkthetaco, Slot Machine, qedcook, jman liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When do owners of the book get this update?
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Blog Entries
    Is the exit like the approach - tricky and complex?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Furthermore View Post
    It's too bad my current addiction in Utah is desert towers; it has been cutting into my canyoneering.
    Get the desert tower climbing in when you can. It's much tougher to stay in desert tower climbing shape than canyoneering shape. Canyoneering has a better longevity throughout your life than desert tower climbing.

7. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Kuya – I don't want to share the beta yet since there are another potential 2-3 canyons in the area.

Jman – The exit hike is not as bad as the approach but it's not trivial.

Qedcook – As much as I do like towers, I enjoy the diversification.

Wow. Nice find!

Is there a story behind the name 'Whisper' ?

...I don't want to share the beta yet since there are another potential 2-3 canyons in the area.
    yo furthermore, you broke the first rule to super secret canyon club of not posting shit about it on interwebz open forum if you want it to remain under wraps.

looking forward to Slot Machine outing this one and the 2-3 others you haven't been in yet and adding it to the Super Amazing Canyoneering Map.

btw, nice find out in moab country.

11. Likes Iceaxe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Droppings View Post
    yo furthermore, you broke the first rule to super secret canyon club of not posting *** about it on interwebz open forum if you want it to remain under wraps.

looking forward to Slot Machine outing this one and the 2-3 others you haven't been in yet and adding it to the Super Amazing Canyoneering Map.

Moose Droppings, may I politely ask that you use polite language on a family-friendly forum. This means:

No S words,
    No "yo" bombs (unless you are under 13 years of age)
    No "interwebz" or similar non-sensical expressions.

Rob

@Furthermore, Is there a story behind the name 'Whisper' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Droppings View Post
    yo furthermore, you broke the first rule to super secret canyon club of not posting shit about it on interwebz open forum if you want it to remain under wraps.

LOL, @Moose Droppings !

Problem is EVERYTHING looks like that out in Moab Country! So difficult to sniff out. Probably up by Undercover... maybe.

And it doesn't look half as good as Sad Cow. Or Aardvark. So not motivated.

And the intention (or so I assume) is that this route will soon be published. So no angst. A little strange to publish photos so soon... If I was doing a book, I'd try to sync up the trip report with the book publication, in order to generate more hype for the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    No S words,
    No "yo" bombs (unless you are under 13 years of age)
    No "interwebz" or similar non-sensical expressions.
    @jman is going to be PISSED when he sees that you beat him to this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

@jman is going to be PISSED when he sees that you beat him to this!
    Lol
    I'm very perturbed...as you can clearly see.

However, I'm glad I'm not the only one (@Rob L) who seems to care. <- family-friendly emoticon. Haha

(In a general sense - Treat people like sh*t...then why would they stick around)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Probably up by Undercover... maybe.
    I'm guessing no and I have a guess of where it is. Of course, I could be wrong.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Kuya – I don't want to share the beta yet since there are another potential 2-3 canyons in the area.

I don't get it... If you don't want to disclose the beta why are you posting about it? Sounds like a pissing contest to me...

I also own your book, just because I like to support anyone that takes the effort to open new routes to publish them for others to enjoy. However, I have to admit I am having buyer remorse now...

While you are teasing with your dry gems, we are opening and posting full beta about true Class C gems on www.ropewiki.com... just saying...

19. Likes Taylor, Slot Machine liked this post
    If you don't want to disclose the beta why are you posting about it?

He didn't say he would never share it. My guess is that he might do so in the future.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The name Whisper came up in casual conversation. Since we had no good contenders, the name stuck. There really isn't much to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    (In a general sense - Treat people like sh*t...then why would they stick around)?
    Jman – I couldn't agree more.....

Luca – I don't want to provide the beta for this canyon before the other canyons in the area are descended so I don't get “scooped” (caving term). Do I plan on sharing the beta? Absolutely. In a small way, I'm indirectly promoting my book. Also, I've provided first hand beta for 300-400 routes on Colorado 13ers via another forum so I don't see why I wouldn't share the beta for one canyon......

Also, I'm sorry for your buyers remorse. When the next book comes out, you don't have to buy one.

22. Likes dude9478, Slot Machine liked this post
    The name Whisper came up in casual conversation. Since we had no good contenders, the name stuck. There really isn't much to the story.

Jman – I couldn't agree more.....

Luca – I don't want to provide the beta for this canyon before the other canyons in the area are descended so I don't get “scooped” (caving term). Do I plan on sharing the beta? Absolutely. In a small way, I'm indirectly promoting my book. Also, I've provided first hand beta for 300-400 routes on Colorado 13ers via another forum so I don't see why I wouldn't share the beta for one canyon......

Also, I'm sorry for your buyers remorse. When the next book comes out, you don't have to buy one.
    Based on previous posts of his elsewhere, Luca seems to take issue with anyone who knows anything about any canyon that is not widely sprayed before the general canyoning public. If you have something you're not sharing, he seems to resent you automatically.

I certainly don't know anything about any canyons that he doesn't....

24. Likes Scott P, deagol liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I'm guessing no and I have a guess of where it is. Of course, I could be wrong.
    I'm guessing the same place Scott is guessing as he has a good track record for sniffing out canyons. I'm also pretty sure I know the general area where Whisper is located.

... then show me a map. Make me a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    Based on previous posts of his elsewhere, Luca seems to take issue with anyone who knows anything about any canyon that is not widely sprayed before the general canyoning public. If you have something you're not sharing, he seems to resent you automatically.

I certainly don't know anything about any canyons that he doesn't....
    Which is really funny because he has openly admitted that he has witheld canyon beta before and that there are reasons to do it. I guess his are the only reasons that are valid.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Which is really funny because he has openly admitted that he has witheld canyon beta before and that there are reasons to do it. I guess his are the only reasons that are valid.
    You guys crack me up...

Sorry if I don't play your games... but I have bigger fish to fry...

Name:  DSC00025_resize.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  130.4 KB

29. Likes Slot Machine liked this post