Thread: Technora sheaths - how much tougher are they?

Technora sheaths - how much tougher are they?

I recently had to downsize my canyon fire after damaging it on a sharp ledge and I was thinking of getting a Sterling Canyon C-IV replacement since it has a technora sheath. Is there a way to quantify just how much "tougher" technora is than polyester? Is it like twice as abrasion resistant or ten times?

As a bit of background, this is mostly for the Catskills (New York State) so the geology is largely ice-fractured sandstone and shale that makes sharp 90-degree lips at the top with multiple ledges/overhangs down the rappel line so it is pretty hard on the ropes in general. This time the block wasn't moved between rappels as I requested due to some miscommunication. In the past I've crept the rope through a figure 8 to continuously adjust contact points, moved the block between rappellers, and used rope pads, but these are all laborious, time consuming, and don't help with last person anyway.

-Andre

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    somewhat related to your question:

"The most important factors in choosing a rappel rope size for you:
    - Your Weight - big people need a bigger canyoning rope. Partly because you will need 'more friction', but mainly because your weight is the driving force behind the rope rubbing against edges and getting dinged up (that's a technical term). The higher your weight, the more you tend to tear up the rope. Careful, experienced 200 lb canyoneers in non-flowing canyons can probably get good life out of an 8.0mm canyon rope. But most canyoneers pushing 200 lbs will be much happier with the 9.2mm rope. Include the weight of your regular canyoneering partners in your calculations.
    - The Tools You Use - each rappel device on the market will work best with a limited range of diameters. Figure of Eights are good for 'fat ropes', but not so good for skinny ropes. The Pirana and ATC-XP work better with small diameter cords. Largely, it is a matter of what you are used to, and what you have training and practice using. Match the tool to the rope, or the rope to the tool, but make sure they match.
    - The Canyons on Your Hitlist - Canyons come in a lot of different flavors. Wet flowing canyons are tougher on ropes, so choose a larger diameter rappel rope for that. Canyons far from the road encourage choosing lighter ropes. Canyons in Ouray combine flowing water with sharp rock, so the 9.2mm Canyonero would be the Ouray tool of choice.
    - Experience Level - Certainly, more skilled people tend to avoid swinging side to side on rappel, and other things that tear up ropes. If you take beginners out a lot, you will want to tend toward a fatter rope.
    - Personal Taste - Perhaps the most important factor - what do you like?"

http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes2.php#diam

4. Likes hank moon, harness man liked this post
    You might consider stepping up to the CanyonTech from Sterling as its a bit bigger diameter rope (9.5 compared to 9.0 for the C-IV). Gotta be a durable rope.

Both ropes from Sterling have nice "hand".

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Technora will still shred over an abrasive edge, rope protection and good technique is the answer.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

7. Likes harness man liked this post
    MUCH better, not incrementally better. I have found the Bluewater 9 mm canyon line and the 8mm canyon extreme to be damned near indestructable, using the ropes for 3-4 years under heavy use without ever getting a cut or core shot. The Sterling C-IV is a little softer (with better hand), but also quite a bit cheaper as well. well worth the price. That said you should always practice good rope management. If you have a bad edge part ways down the rap that you cannot pad or reach, a creeping rappel is a good idea, even if only for all but the last man down. Even just shifting the rope to change rub points between each rappeller helps.

9. Likes harness man liked this post
    We have also found the Bluewater 8mm canyon extreme to be VERY durable, it has outlasted our other ropes.
    If only Technora were not such a boring pale yellow color....

11. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    You might consider stepping up to the CanyonTech from Sterling as its a bit bigger diameter rope (9.5 compared to 9.0 for the C-IV). Gotta be a durable rope.

Both ropes from Sterling have nice "hand".
    The 9.5mm seemed a little thick and heavy since I like the size of the Canyon Fire a lot. I guess if the C-IV doesn't last I'll have to make the next step up.

-A

Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    MUCH better, not incrementally better. I have found the Bluewater 9 mm canyon line and the 8mm canyon extreme to be damned near indestructable, using the ropes for 3-4 years under heavy use without ever getting a cut or core shot. The Sterling C-IV is a little softer (with better hand), but also quite a bit cheaper as well. well worth the price. That said you should always practice good rope management. If you have a bad edge part ways down the rap that you cannot pad or reach, a creeping rappel is a good idea, even if only for all but the last man down. Even just shifting the rope to change rub points between each rappeller helps.
    Thanks Rick - Glad to hear they are substantially better.

-Andre

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast Canyoneering View Post
    Thanks Rick - Glad to hear they are substantially better.

-Andre
    Though a "tougher" rope might have the potential to last longer, that doesn't mean it will. One wrong move under the right conditions can still produce a core shot. There are many variables to consider other than sheath fiber material. See Tom's post, above.

I'll throw in my experience.

I've nicked and worn multiple brands of rope that had to eventually be retired. Some due to improper edge protection, others just to wear.

I haven't had to retire the canyon extreme, yet... even after hundreds of raps.

I personally don't use anything else now.

YMMV

16. Likes Get in the Wild liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Northeast Canyoneering View Post
    I recently had to downsize my canyon fire after damaging it on a sharp ledge and I was thinking of getting a Sterling Canyon C-IV replacement since it has a technora sheath. Is there a way to quantify just how much "tougher" technora is than polyester? Is it like twice as abrasion resistant or ten times?

As a bit of background, this is mostly for the Catskills (New York State) so the geology is largely ice-fractured sandstone and shale that makes sharp 90-degree lips at the top with multiple ledges/overhangs down the rappel line so it is pretty hard on the ropes in general. This time the block wasn't moved between rappels as I requested due to some miscommunication. In the past I've crept the rope through a figure 8 to continuously adjust contact points, moved the block between rappellers, and used rope pads, but these are all laborious, time consuming, and don't help with last person anyway.

-Andre
    Based on my experience a Technora sheath is MUCH more resistant than other sheath materials. Keep in mind it is not indestructible and good rope management is a good idea with any rope.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Technora sheath

sterling Technora sheath

Technora sheath vs Polyester