Thread: New to Southern Utah

New to Southern Utah

Hello everyone,
    I am new to Southern Utah and am looking for a few different backpacking trips that I can take. I am interested in a quick 1 night backpacking trip that I can do with my son to introduce him to backpacking. I prefer BLM land as to not pay any fees or get permits but am open to anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It really depends on the season for me.

Coyote Gulch down to Jacob Hamblin arch is a good hike. Lots of springs. This is in the Glen Canyon Recreation area, but no fees to access
    Name:  10359537_10204315058869137_7204733612651326724_n.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  79.2 KB

Hop Valley in Zion is another great hike. Over night camping will require a Park permit, But a day hike in and out won't
    Name:  IMG_2211.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  64.6 KB

Several great trails around the Bruce Area that are outside the park. Mostly FS or BLM . Under the rim trail, Losee, Casto, or for that matter just wander around on the Paunsaugunt Plateau. Lots of dirt roads to get you back away from the crowds
    Name:  Bryce3 249.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  112.5 KB

Once the snow melt is gone. You can get up on the Aquarius Plateau. There is a good trail down from Jacobs Reservoir to the old Jubilee Ranger cabin. The cabin is no longer used, Make a pretty hike with some old history at the cabin.
    [IMG][/IMG]

4. Likes oldno7, shyjonny, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome!

It depends - how far are you willing to travel?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I am willing to drive 4 hours or so to get there and another 4 or so back. That is, if I were to take a few days to backpack. I would like to find something local as well (I live in St. George) so I can pick up my boy after work and go for a quick overnighter.

I really appreciate this. Thank you!

Pine valley has free backpacking options. That would be pretty accessible from St. George. Lot's of trails up there that are easy to access and overnight on. This time of year there is a nice loop up above Snow Canyon that looks into it from the North. I think it's called Red Valley? Not sure though. Some good options south of there towards Utah Mtn and Black Rock exit too.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    This time of year there is a nice loop up above Snow Canyon that looks into it from the North. I think it's called Red Valley?

It's Red Mountain, Nice trail head just past Diamondville.

4 hours of driving, Depending on where you start will cover 2/3 of the state of Utah.

Lots of places to Explore on the Boulder Top, The Great Western trail cuts across that area. The San Rafael Swell has lots of desert to explore. The Abjo or Blue Mountains near Monticello, The LaSal's above Moab. The Book cliffs along the Utah/Colorado state line.

Just too many places to name

Thank you everyone. This gives me a great list to start with. Thanks for making this easy for me.