Thread: Black Magic Canyon

Black Magic Canyon

On May 13, 2015, Steph, John, Drew and I ventured through Black Magic Canyon. This was Drew's first canyoneering adventure.

This canyon is a real gem that sits smack in the middle of a state that doesn't seem all that interesting. We stopped by during the tail end of a Yellowstone/Montana road trip. While it isn't a destination canyon, I'd definitely recommend stopping by if you ever find yourself near Twin Falls, Idaho.

Beta:

Here are some good directions for getting to the canyon:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...onsOPT_508.pdf

PARK HERE: 43 04' 31" 114 18' 21"

The road to the top trailhead SUCKS, so don't bother driving up there and ruining your vehicle. Plus, if you park at the bottom, you get to do the canyon twice (awesome!). This canyon is short, so it will never be worth setting up a shuttle.

Starting at the diversion dam, walk up the west side of the drainage until you see a very easy entrance. Walk down into the the canyon then hike upstream through a stunning slot for about an hour until you get to a 12 foot dryfall. This obstacle will be challenging for small kids and old folks, but easy for everyone else. Consider turning back here if it seems too tough, because there is not a lot of canyon to see above this point. Some folks might enjoy a handline here. Nothing in this canyon is even close to being bolt-worthy, so please leave your bolt kit at home.

After you upclimb the dryfall, hike for about 10 minutes until you reach a wide open wash full of river rocks. Turn around here and enjoy your trip back down Black Magic Canyon.

Here are the coordinates for the turn back point: 43 04' 51" 114 17' 51"

Most small children (3-6) will love this canyon. There are dozens of tiny passageways under the rocks that are just their size. Our son had a blast going through them!

Carrying a small child through this canyon is a LOT of work, and somewhat dangerous due to the unusual overhangs that are difficult to dodge. FAR more work than Little Wild Horse. Leave your babies at home for this one.

There are dozens of opportunities to smack your head in this canyon, so helmets are recommended for this hike.

If there is water flowing through this canyon, then don't go in. There is a dam above that periodically releases water for irrigation. So before you go call the Big Wood Canal Company at 208-886-2331 to check the water release schedule.

Expect a car-to-car time of 2-3 hours.

Enjoy!

-Bob

Name:  P1020281.jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  P1020283.jpg
Views: 4859
Size:  163.3 KB

Name:  P1020285.jpg
Views: 3054
Size:  187.4 KB

Name:  P1020289.jpg
Views: 2579
Size:  182.5 KB

Name:  P1020293.jpg
Views: 2391
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  P1020294.jpg
Views: 2407
Size:  271.6 KB

Name:  P1020296.jpg
Views: 2377
Size:  266.0 KB

Name:  P1020299.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  P1020303.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  127.4 KB

Name:  P1020306.jpg
Views: 2776
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  P1020311.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  209.1 KB

Name:  P1020314.jpg
Views: 2464
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  P1020316.jpg
Views: 2186
Size:  144.3 KB

Name:  P1020318.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  P1020322.jpg
Views: 2303
Size:  97.0 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

is that Basalt ???

That's Basalt, brotha!

Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    is that Basalt ???
    Yes it is, polished smooth by water.

The rock in there has been molded into handholds that are amazing. A boulderer's V0 dream.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Cool. Now that you included the info in the post, it totally makes sense (since I didn't know where this canyon was). Being in Idaho, it makes sense...
    I was in Twin Falls once and got to look down from the huge bridge down into the Snake River Canyon- different landscape for sure...

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Wow...cool looking scenery!

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    This canyon is a real gem that sits smack in the middle of a state that doesn't seem all that interesting.
    That is funny...

Taters for outa staters!

9. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Awesome!! I need to check this out. Thanks for the beta as well.

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks for the TR with great beta and pics! Thanks also for the heads up on helmets. And perfect timing for us too...we had a trip planned only a week after your post where we'd be passing within 10 miles of this canyon!

Black Magic Canyon gave us something to break up the drive for the kids on our way to the Sawtooths. It took us about 2 hours from bottom to top with the two year old walking and the one year old twins on our backs. We set up a bike shuttle (road wasnt bad for an Outlander) to save the grueling experience of convincing the two year old to walk back down canyon.

I grew up not to far from this area and was surprised to see that there was a little gem like this out there. Very cool features and the toddler loved climbing around and playing in the countless pools of water (it had rained that morning).

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by burley View Post
    Thanks for the TR with great beta and pics! Thanks also for the heads up on helmets.

Very cool features and the toddler loved climbing around and playing in the countless pools of water (it had rained that morning).
    Sweeet! Stoked that you guys had a good time!

This looks awesome. Thank you for the post. I now plan on taking my kids here this summer.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I now plan on taking my kids here this summer.
    @DiscGo

Cool! It is a short canyon for such a long drive... perhaps consider combining it with Craters of the Moon for a more full day.

If you go to Craters, bring headlamps and helmets and be sure to stop at the entrance for cave permits. A worthy side trip.

Yeah, we checked it out on the map and were hoping to do it with YellowStone but it was way too far out of the way. So we decided to make a trip and do both Black Magic Canyon and Craters of the Moon.

As we get closer to our trip (July 11th) I will likely look for other family friendly stuff in between there and Provo.

18. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thank you again for this TR. We are on our way to head out right now. Do you have any last minute advice on where to camp or anything else do in the area? I have been too busy to plan much, but we are still going :)

I love Bogley! I was about to leave (my gear was all packed and we were about to leave) when I received a private message that Black Magic Canyon is often only available during Spring & Fall. We are now on our way to Bryce & Zion. Thanks again!

22. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    I am hoping to go this weekend. Should I be concerned about the canyon still being flooded?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    I am hoping to go this weekend. Should I be concerned about the canyon still being flooded?
    Maybe. Before you go call the Big Wood Canal Company at 208-886-2331 to check the water release schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Maybe. Before you go call the Big Wood Canal Company at 208-886-2331 to check the water release schedule.
    Thank you Slot Machine

26. Likes Slot Machine liked this post