Thread: Alternate approach to West Baker

Alternate approach to West Baker

Baker canyon from the Neon/Fence area is a LONG LONG ways away. The standard approach involves river walking the Escalante nearly to the mouth and the ascending a weakness in the cliff band. We were looking to shave off time so we gambled on a cross country route I had scoped on Google Earth.

Leave river approximately at: N37° 35' 21.9" W111° 09' 19.8"

Turns out it worked...and shaved off a considerable amount of bush-whacking. The only hitch: There is a moderately challenging cliff band near the top that must be descended. Mild exposure at worst.

Walkdown through cliff band at: N37° 36' 11.1" W111° 07' 45.9"

There was sensitive desert that had to be crossed but by in large it was easy enough to link minor drainages to avoid the crypto.

It was clear that we werent the first people to have this idea as we found a lone cairn...but anyways...here it is. Enjoy!

Name:  west baker.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  DSC00271 Panorama.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  50.1 KB
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice! We will use this some day.

When you get a sec, could you please conjure up a shorter route for Choprock and save us all a few miles?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

When you get a sec, could you please conjure up a shorter route for Choprock and save us all a few miles?
    I've been told that there is a "secret" entrance that involves a rappel into the riparian section that shaves off some hiking though I dont know where it is. (I have a guess...)

We got sick of the traverse and fiddled into Choprock @ N37° 39' 02.8" W111° 08' 00.5"

Why not just take this shortcut from the Egypt trailhead? (This is just an estimate)
    Name:  WesstBaker.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  41.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post

Would this route end up saving any time? (Black in normal approach, red is shorter approach)

Name:  ChopShort.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  83.7 KB

There is a LOT of cryptobiotic soil on the route to Choprock. We got off track of the normal entrance and spent a considerable amount of time trying to avoid the crypto. Im betting this route is similar to the route we took.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik B View Post
    I've been told that there is a "secret" entrance that involves a rappel into the riparian section that shaves off some hiking though I dont know where it is. (I have a guess...)

We got sick of the traverse and fiddled into Choprock @ N37° 39' 02.8" W111° 08' 00.5"
    and you survived ??

There is actually a better alternate Baker approach than the one listed above. I thought it was in the Climb-Utah.com beta but just noticed it was never added. I'll get that corrected.

Anyhoo... if you are using the Climb-Utah.com beta use the apprach to Ringtail Canyon, As you near the drop-in to Ringtail just head east, hiking cross-country, aiming for the West Baker drop-in waypoint and you will cut-off a lot of mileage... easy as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    As you near the drop-in to Ringtail just head east, hiking cross-country, aiming for the West Baker drop-in waypoint and you will cut-off a lot of mileage... easy as can be.
    If you're starting from the Egypt trailhead, and not the mouth of Neon canyon, I think the route I mapped out would still be quicker than going to Ringtail, and then cutting over.

In other words, if West Baker was the target canyon, and not an add-on canyon, why not cut straight from the Egypt trailhead as directly as possible? This is especially true for the exit hike.

The alternative approach I listed is used if setting up a base camp in the Fence/Neon area, which is what my just added website beta states and what many canyoneers do.

If you are doing the Bakers from the trailhead there is another cross-country route you can use. I'd have to consult my maps to remember exactly how things worked but you basically just hike from the TH cross-country to the Bakers if I remember correctly.

14. Likes Erik B liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Why not just take this shortcut from the Egypt trailhead? (This is just an estimate)
    Name:  WesstBaker.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  41.7 KB
    Baker was and add-on for us. We had intended to clean sweep but unfortunately missed Ringtail on account of dis-settling weather after neon. We were already down at the River from previous days: Choppie & neon.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik B View Post
    Baker was and add-on for us. We had intended to clean sweep but unfortunately missed Ringtail on account of dis-settling weather after neon. We were already down at the River from previous days: Choppie & neon.
    If Baker is ever the last canyon of the trip, this should be the exit route. I think Iceaxe is right about the approach. Go to Ringtail, then cut over to Baker. But the shortest return route would be this one.