Thread: Blarney Canyon, Left Fork, May 2, 2015

Blarney Canyon, Left Fork, May 2, 2015

It has been way too long since the last canyon I descended...on that one, I could feel my back starting to spasm and my left hip hurting on the exit hike and I knew that I was in for a very long ride home. The long ride home ended up being a month of intense pain, discomfort and numbness in my left leg. After too many trips to the chiropractor and a few months of conditioning I was feeling better and pretty sure I was ready to tackle another tech canyon.

I knew I wanted to do something short and easy, so scanning Climb-Utah I figured the Left Fork of Blarney fit the requirements. I notified the team and we were on for April 25th...unfortunately, the weather report got worse every time I looked at it and so late Friday night, we pulled the plug on it.

May 2nd worked for most of us and with a favorable weather report, it was on, again. The team consisted of Jack (co-worker), Michael (Jack's son), Chrystal (Jack's daughter), Adam (business associate) and myself. This was Michael and Adam's first real tech canyon experience. Absent for the first time ever for a tech slot trip for me, was a member of my family. Sports and birthday parties seemed to be a higher priority for them and so this was a different trip for me. I really missed 'em.

Pretty scenery on the approach.

Are we ready for this?

Adam on rappel, me on fireman's.

OK, so this wasn't the official 2nd rappel, but we saw the webbing before we saw the rabbit hole...

Michael on the 2nd real rappel, or downclimb for the "highly-skilled.

Disturbing to see this.

And this.

Crystal learning some stemming skills, with brother and dad watching.

Adam enjoying the squeezing and downclimbing.

Crystal, Jack and Michael (l to r) at the end of the slot.

Ended too quick.

Interesting design.

Scenery.

Finished the day with a refreshing dip in the pool up Hog Springs Canyon.

2. Likes darhawk, Iceaxe liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice TR. How were the bugs?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    I stepped out of my car at Stan's in Hanksville and was attacked immediately by gnats, but saw none the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Nice TR. How were the bugs?
    We were around there yesterday - gnats were out but breezes kept them at bay some of the time.

Nice report. Nice way to end the day.
    That fork of Blarney ranks as 3rd in our book behind Middle Fork Lep #1 and East Fork Lep #2. Fun descents, quick & easy approach. Can be completed in around 2+ hours. We have also found it fun to add on an upclimb of the other fork to the head and then back down and out.

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the report Dave. The pics looks great!

x2 to what peakbaggers said - fun, quick, and easy approach.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

11. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbaggers View Post
    Nice report. Nice way to end the day.
    That fork of Blarney ranks as 3rd in our book behind Middle Fork Lep #1 and East Fork Lep #2. Fun descents, quick & easy approach. Can be completed in around 2+ hours. We have also found it fun to add on an upclimb of the other fork to the head and then back down and out.

We actually planned on ascending the right fork as I'd read about folks doing it but it was about 85 in the shade when we finished the slot section and when I mentioned that idea I didn't get any takers. But, when I mentioned hiking to a cool oasis in the desert...

Thanks for the TR Dave! Well done. Swimming in Hog Springs is a blast (with fresh water of course). Looking at your photos reminds me that I can't spend ALL my time working on my house and need to get out soon.

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post