Thread: Diana's throne

Diana's throne

I haven't posted in quite some time. But, I got to take my 5 year old son through his first canyon ever today. What an awesome experience for both of us. I've slowly tried to get him use to being on a rope every now and then for the past year or so. Started with rigging up a rope on a swing set and putting his batman costume on and letting him pretend he was flying. Also took him tandom rappelling with me a handful of times. We also hiked shelf canyon from the bottom a few weeks ago to get him use to climbing around and hiking without a trail.

All in all it worked great he was able to hike all the way to the top of Diana's throne with very little help. When it came time to the rappels we switched it up and did a few tandom rappels. He had so much fun sliding down some of the down climbs on his butt like it was a slide that I lowered him down a couple of the rappels on his butt and he loved it.

He was getting pretty drained when we started the climb out. But a little friendly reminder that we could get ice cream at mt. Carmel junction had him practically running up the hill.

All in all one of my most memorable canyon trips. Even though it was something as simple as Diana's throne. The joy on his face and the pride on my face was something I'll never forget. I highly recommend this canyon to anybody getting little kids or anybody scared of heights. It's a super mellow canyon as long as you know what you're doing. It's still a technical canyon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We did this canyon April 24 - just as the weather was moving in for that weekend. Thought the canyon had a lot to offer in terms of scenery. Richly colored rock and some nice raps and some narrow sections. No real stemming. Since someone has bolted it all the way through, now a "beginner friendly" canyon so a good one in which to introduce your son. All the bolts and rigging for them looked the same and looked fairly new. It appeared to us a "local" guide/outfitter must have done all that work to use this canyon for training purposes? If you ignore the bolts, there's some good possibilities to practice anchor building or try using potshots, sandtraps, etc.