Thread: Wildcat Trailhead (Subway) Closed from 9/15/15 - 11/30/15

Blog Entries

Wildcat Trailhead (Subway) Closed from 9/15/15 - 11/30/15

Just saw this on the Zion Canyoneering permits website (https://zionpermits.nps.gov/) and thought I would pass the info along for future Subway plans.

"Prescribed Fire may take place between 9/15-11/30/2015. During the prescribed fire, the Wildcat Canyon Trail (including the Subway and Trans Zion Hike)may be closed. Dates are weather dependent and may change"

Basically, don't plan on doing the Subway past September 15th of this year.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That same message was on there for the spring from March-May as well. So there is still a good chance that the trailhead will be open.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    That same message was on there for the spring from March-May as well. So there is still a good chance that the trailhead will be open.
    Interesting.

Thanks for the info. As the website gets updated or hear from an another official source, I'll be sure to update this.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Basically, means it will likely be closed for 2-3 days sometime during the time period.

Tom

7. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    So with my Subway trip tomorrow, I checked the road conditions before hand. Glad I did!

"The portions of the Kolob Terrace Road that run through Zion National Park and provides access to many of Zion's Wildnerness trails will undergoing major reconstruction. The Kolob Terrace Road will be closed between 9am-12pm and 1-4pm Monday through Friday from March 2, 2015 through October 31, 2015.
    The Hidden Canyon Trail will be fully closed from June 1 to August 28, 2015.
    For addition information and updates visit http://www.nps.gov/zion
    Prescribed Fire may take place between 9/15-11/30/2015. During the prescribed fire, the Wildcat Canyon Trail (including the Subway and Trans Zion Hike)may be closed. Dates are weather dependent and may change".
    So as long as you reach the Wildcat Trailhead before 9am you will be okay to do the Subway (or any other canyons up above such as Kolob or Boundary, etc). Otherwise you will need to wait until noon, which means a LATE start. Plan wisely. Make sure you on the road at the latest by 8am and 7:30am if you are coming from Springdale.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"