Thread: Keeper pothole

Keeper pothole

Does anyone have the current condition on the keeper in the middle fork of deer creek? Also, has anyone been through the right fork in Zion(is there a keeper)? thanks for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by redddrock View Post
    Does anyone have the current condition on the keeper in the middle fork of deer creek? Also, has anyone been through the right fork in Zion(is there a keeper)? thanks for your help.
    Are you talking about the Right Fork of Deer Creek, or the Right Fork of North Creek (the Subway's neighboring canyon)?

Are you talking about the Right Fork of Deer Creek, or the Right Fork of North Creek (the Subway's neighboring canyon)?
    I believe he means the Deer Creek in the Grand Canyon and the Right Fork North Creek. Both have potential keepers.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

If it's Right Fork of North Creek in Zion, I went through the upper and lower section on Monday, and it was completely full of very cold water. No semi-keepers or anything. Anchors were all well set up.

Went through right fork a couple years ago when the water was just right/wrong and it took us an hour to get out of the keeper. One guy under water lifting the other guy enough to throw some potshots out of the water. It was intense. Went back last year and the water was slightly lower and we climbed right out. Dunno.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teedit View Post
    Went through right fork a couple years ago when the water was just right/wrong and it took us an hour to get out of the keeper. One guy under water lifting the other guy enough to throw some potshots out of the water. It was intense. Went back last year and the water was slightly lower and we climbed right out. Dunno.
    I have never seen a keeper in there. Where?

On the direct? or on the bypass route??

Tom

I have never seen a keeper in there. Where?
    Tom, I haven't seen it, but I've heard from several people that there is sometimes a keeper (or maybe semi-keeper?) in the Right Fork Direct. I've heard anything from 7-10 feet deep. Apparently it comes and goes.

Here is a photo from Bogley member Msmnificent:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...568#post536568

Apparently it can be deeper than this when the sand/gravel is washed out. Apparently since the walls are slippery, it can be hard to get out of when the water level is right.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Tom, I haven't seen it, but I've heard from several people that there is sometimes a keeper (or maybe semi-keeper?) in the Right Fork Direct. I've heard anything from 7-10 feet deep. Apparently it comes and goes.

Apparently it can be deeper than this when the sand/gravel is washed out. Apparently since the walls are slippery, it can be hard to get out of when the water level is right.
    That is Malia going down, just before the big rap in the Direct. So that is not a pothole escape.

Did a trip there once with Todd and Stephanie Martin, in low-water conditions. When they did not come into camp until real late, I got kinda concerned. When asked if it was hard, Stephanie said: " yes, there were a couple hard spots. Todd had to take his (overnight) pack off TWICE!"

Tom

I would assume that if the water is this low someone would be able to stand on the bottom (depending on sand levels) and lift the other guy out. Our problem was the water was only a couple feet below the lip but very slippery, nowhere to hook, the lifter guy's head was under water, and we were throwing potshots from the water. The pothole turns so not a great throwing location before you get in but we should have tried. Plus there is not a good lip for the potshot to fall over on the other side so it takes a few. Next time we went the water was a bit lower or less slippery and we climbed right out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post

Yep, direct.