Thread: The Big West Fork of Red Breaks Canyon

The Big West Fork of Red Breaks Canyon

On April 20th, 2015, Steph and I ventured through the Big West Fork of Red Breaks Canyon.

This spectacular canyon contains about a dozen fun dowclimbs. We did not wear helmets (though we should have) because we thought this was a walk-through canyon.

I've read several crappy versions of beta on this route. Most of them recommend going up the canyon. I guess that would be fun if you were really into bouldering. However, we saw a lot of blood on the walls/floor at the top of the slot. Probably from somebody going up. Probably not donated by somebody that was into bouldering.

I even read some beta that recommends doing a loop from Harris Wash. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT THAT WAY. Talk about a hellish soft sand slog...

So we spent a little time devising an enjoyable route, and had an AWESOME time descending this canyon form the top-down. Our car-to-car time was a very slow 5 hours, on account that my wife had not done a single downclimb in over a year. We could do it again today in 3.5 hours. Beta to be published soon on Climb-Utah.

Bob

Name:  P1020101.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  P1020103.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  P1020107.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  P1020108.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  P1020111.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  P1020116.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  P1020127.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  P1020128.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  P1020120.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  P1020122.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  P1020124.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  98.1 KB

http://amazingslots.blogspot.com/201...ks-canyon.html
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Thanks Aaron! It was awesome.

But stay tuned. The most awesome canyon I've ever done was last week. About 100 times as awesome as this one.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    But stay tuned. The most awesome canyon I've ever done was last week. About 100 times as awesome as this one.
    you have definitely peaked my interest! "100 times as awesome"?!?! "Most awesome canyon...ever done" those are some pretty hefty words!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Gotta be Imlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Gotta be Imlay.
    Imlay is certainly in my top 5!

Imlay is certainly in my top 5!
    Mine too. What are your other top 4?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I'd have to think about that for a while, but Buckskin Gulch and the Black Hole of White Canyon would probably be on the list.

This route is now available on Climb-Utah.com

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/redbreaks.htm

13. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Choprock for sure, the Squeeze and Alcatraz probably, Kolob maybe.

Eagle Creek, Val Bodengo, T4, Emerald Pools, Middle earth. Those are pretty high on my best-canyon-ever list lol
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Thanks for the report! I gotta make it back down to Utah sometime...West Fork Red Breaks has been on my list for several years now, but I haven't made it back to the Escalante area for a while. I'll be interested in checking out your route.

One question, I have read reports of a pretty narrow section somewhere along the way and notice in the picture that you don't appear to be an overly large individual. How tight are the narrowest sections? I'm not super-sized, just a little larger than I ought to be (6'2", 220 lb) and wondering how much of a squeeze it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by pigburner View Post
    Thanks for the report! I gotta make it back down to Utah sometime...West Fork Red Breaks has been on my list for several years now, but I haven't made it back to the Escalante area for a while. I'll be interested in checking out your route.

One question, I have read reports of a pretty narrow section somewhere along the way and notice in the picture that you don't appear to be an overly large individual. How tight are the narrowest sections? I'm not super-sized, just a little larger than I ought to be (6'2", 220 lb) and wondering how much of a squeeze it would be.
    In picture #3 above, my wife is standing in the most narrow part, right at the beginning of the good stuff. At first glance it looks rather serious. But once your eyes adjust you'll see that it is pretty tame.

You might have to fight through for about 50 feet or so, but it should be a fun type of fight. Not scary geometry at all. You could always go up to a more comfortable level if you don't mind being off the ground.

Thanks Slot Machine.

FWIW: Red Breaks should combo really well with Spencer Canyon.

Spencer Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/spencer.htm

The two trailheads are only a couple of miles apart and the two slots require roughly the same skill set. A skilled and competent canyoneer should be able to take beginners through both slots safely.

19. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Thanks Slot Machine.

FWIW: Red Breaks should combo really well with Spencer Canyon.

Spencer Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/spencer.htm

The two trailheads are only a couple of miles apart and the two slots require roughly the same skill set. A skilled and competent canyoneer should be able to take beginners through both slots safely.
    No problemo.

Indeed, this should be a great combo. That was our original plan, but sleeping in without the sounds of our screaming children kinda messed that up.

21. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post