Thread: Imlay April 17-18

Imlay April 17-18

Follow up to my brief report last week.

https://youtu.be/HJRZtQ8rVxw

Two of us from this group of 3 did Imlay exactly a year ago. I understand it's somewhat unusual to do Imlay in April at all, but given 2 low modest winters in a row, it worked out. We did Checkerboard on Thursday (trip report forthcoming - it was a long day), so Friday we took the morning easy and headed back up via the Left Sneak about 4 pm from the Grotto. We decided to stay overnight at the crossroads this time instead of a 1 day adventure because of time constraints Saturday evening (late flight out of Vegas for me).

Our team of 3 made it to the crossroads in 4 hours from Grotto. We set up camp, filtered some water and got a pretty good night sleep. The approach into Left Sneak was fine, but the back side down to the cross roads (the last hour or so) seemed to have more fallen trees, slides and obstacles than previous year, but still quite manageable. Handline at the final steep section LDC seemed to be in good condition and was a good help. Having only done "day" trips canyoneering, packing extra gear caused a little apprehension in terms of overall weight. I noticed the trade off was worth doing - we rested well some breaking up the hike in from the technical section left us with more energy on day 2.

Compared to last year (no hooking required and lots of swimming), this year water level was 4-5 feet LOWER. We heard a group had been through the week before and hooked out of 1 hole and 9 pack tosses. For us, it required 2 hook outs (one at big bertha which was about 4 feet below what could be walrused out of, other in 2nd narrows about 5 raps from end). Stopped counting pack tosses once it hit the teens. Anchors in good shape. Given the time of day, it was quite dark in the 1st technical section. In hindsight it would have been nice to pull out the headlamp for some sections, though not necessary.

Prior to planning the overnight, I was also concerned when we started it would be quite cold and we might have a tough time warming up. This turned out to be a non-issue. My guess is it was mid-30s and quickly into the 40s when started and likely in 60s+ when finished. Water was cold, but I was warm in 5 mm suit with 3 mm hooded vest and 3 mm extra bottom layer, 5 mm socks and gloves. One in our group had a bit less and was cold various times.

We completed the final rap into the Narrows at 2:30 pm (6.5 hours technical section). Last year we landed on the deck about 6:30 pm and the Narrows was vacant. This time we saw many river walkers and it was enjoyable to rap down among a group of 15-20 people. To the crowd here it's no all that unique, but among this group we looked like aliens.

Two unique things happened on this trip. I mentioned previously we inadvertently left behind our main working rope (60 ft) so if another group finds it, would appreciate arranging a retrieval.

The other was a surprise on the final rap. We typically attach our bag below us on longer raps or free hanging ones. About 1/2 way down, I noticed a black strap (not sure if it was part of chest strap or where) on my Heaps bag somehow looped the rope and cinched on. I noticed it when this was about 8 feet from rap device and by the time I slowed down (not traveling real fast) it was less than 6 inches from my rap device, but below by hand. I had already started tying off, but the next amount of rope needed for the final tie off on the CRITIR would have included the attached black strap. I paused for 15-20 second thinking through the situation. Can't tie off more and if I let more through it will suck in the cinched part of the rope. I was able to remedy the situation by forcing the black strap down the rope with my brake hand and completed the rap. Lesson learned, secure all pack straps before hanging bag and be vigilant about something looping on the rope.

This is one of my favorite canyons for it beauty and length. Working as a team to defeat continuous obstacles was satisfying. Good preparation and a strong team make for a great canyoneering adventure in Imlay.

2. Likes nkanarik, Taylor, jman, ratagonia liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Sounds like fun. We are in Imlay again this year in 4 weeks time, so lets hope some storms fill it up a bit more before then.... at the same time last year as a team of 2 we needed a couple of pack tosses and one hook-out as water levels were medium/highish. 6am start from the Grotto, right sneak route, alcove snack at 10, relaxed lunch in the open section at 2, heroic rap into the tourists in the Narrows at 4pm

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_WB View Post
    Sounds like fun. We are in Imlay again this year in 4 weeks time, so lets hope some storms fill it up a bit more before then.... at the same time last year as a team of 2 we needed a couple of pack tosses and one hook-out as water levels were medium/highish. 6am start from the Grotto, right sneak route, alcove snack at 10, relaxed lunch in the open section at 2, heroic rap into the tourists in the Narrows at 4pm
    Please update after you run Imlay in a few weeks (or better yet, add to Candition.com). I'll be doing it shortly after that and would like to know about the conditions.

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    I'll try my best. We are in Imlay on May 25th, then off to Escalante the very next day for a couple of days in Neon/Choprock. So if we don't have time before leaving Hurricane, it'll be when we next get wifi, probably in Torrey. We're back in Zion for another week from May 31st onwards :-)