Thread: 4/17/15 - 4/16/15 Jug & Parker

4/17/15 - 4/16/15 Jug & Parker

TJ, Shan, Kris, Lacey & I made a last minute trip down to Roosevelt Lake. Thursday evening was spent scrambling to pack all our gear and food for the 3 day trip. It wasn't supposed to be this hectic, but that's how life works out sometimes. It was probably about 10pm before the gear needed was ready to do. That makes a short night for our 3am alarm clock and 4am departure from St. George.

We actually were on the road by about 415 and on our way. The travel went failrly quick and around noon we rolled into the Grapevine campsite to find that all the spots were already taken so we just made our own site while TJ and Shan stole "borrowed" a picnic table from the pavilion while no one was watching and set it up by our new campsite. An hour or so was spent getting things situated around camp, then gear was rounded up for an afternoon trek through the 'Jug'.

A leisurely hike in put us right into the drainage and the wetsuits came on. The Jug is not technically challenging by any means, but is definitely one of the funnest short canyons around. Lots of water, slides, some easy downclimbs and final rap into a pool. The only regret is not jumping the last rap into the pool instead of rappelling it. The exit hike back out isn't too bad and we were back to camp by around 6pm. Just in time for TJ and Shan to cook up some dutch oven potatoes and ribs. Much better than my normal lazy self ever even thinks about planning and preparing for. Not a bad day, wake up in Utah, drive to Arizona and do an awesome canyon all in the same day.

Sleep came easy that night, and we had a 7 am alarm set to get up and do a canyon called Cibeque on Saturday morning. It seemed like only 30 minutes after going to sleep we were up packing to head out for the hour drive to meet the Apache guide for our next adventure. 3 vehicles and 11 people later we were sitting at the Salt River junction ready for the days adventure. After waiting for 1.5 hours, we decided that our guide was a no show and Plan B was made. Part of our group was going to hike to the first rap, the maximum distance allowed without an Apache guide, while the rest of us decided to head back to camp and regroup. Knowing my personality, if ended up at the first rap the trip would not stop there and I didn't want to risk the consequences or hurt any future relationships with the reservation.

Ropes were rearranged and a quick trip through Parker was decided upon. Probably the first time I have ever started 2 canyons at 1 pm on consecutive days, but thats just how it planned out. We drove the 30-40 minutes to the Parker trailhead, geared up and headed out. Parker was awesome, and stilll had some flow going through it. Plenty of slides, downclimbs and raps to make a well worthwhile adventure. Without really hurrying, the 5 of us made good time and was back again to camp by 6pm, just in time for the catered dinner and Apache experience planned for everyone.

What an awesome quick trip we had. Thanks TJ for putting it together and letting my wife and daughter come along.

2. Likes jman, jaredr, Taylor liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

4/17/15 - 4/16/15 Jug & Parker

Man, I wanna do this canyon bad. Looks like so much fun. Great pictures and I love the chilling in the water with the eyes closed.....ahhhh...talk about serenity!

Pardon my ignorance of Arizona canyons...but does The Jug & Parker flow year round?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Neither of them flow year round. Later in the year the Jug's pools will likely have stagnant, gross green water in them. Spring is prime season there. Conditions vary from year to year of course. Someone from Phoenix confirm or correct me.

6. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Neither of them flow year round. Later in the year the Jug's pools will likely have stagnant, gross green water in them. Spring is prime season there. Conditions vary from year to year of course. Someone from Phoenix confirm or correct me.
    Spot on the jug will usually flow later than Parker, but neither flow year round.

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    thanks fellas. I'll have to remember that when I make a trip down there.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"