Thread: Goblin Valley and Crack Canyon

Goblin Valley and Crack Canyon

Our Scout group headed down to Goblin Valley this past weekend (4/17). The sky's opened and it rained in the area for a good couple of hours. The rain let up right when the team arrived at Goblin Valley. The group played capture the flag for two hours. Because of the rain and near new moon conditions it was pitch black in the valley. The group started out sliding through the mud with three inches of mud caked on the bottom of their feet. Two hours later, no more mud.

Because of the late hour when the group exited Goblin Valley, they decided not to drive out to Chute Canyon (as highly recommended by our friends on Bogley) and instead drove out to the Crack Canyon trail head and camped there. After breakfast, the team began the hike through Crack Canyon. For those who had never been in slot canyons before, the adventure was fantastic and beautiful. For those experienced in the slots and familiar with the Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyon loop and Ding and Dang loop, Crack Canyon was very ho hum. The good news about Crack Canyon, you're alone without the crowds at Little Wild Horse.

Name:  15575_10153248818161753_7890491323013218783_n.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  156.7 KBName:  11149407_10153248817681753_7049706344646682268_n.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  114.0 KBName:  11150353_10153248817776753_5564983714980258600_n.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  118.6 KB

2. Likes darhawk liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool, we were there this weekend too. Fortunately we arrived Friday night after all of the rain and just had sunshine.

Blog Entries

Goblin Valley and Crack Canyon

Glad you had a good time!

As a family, we frequented Goblin Valley and LWH every year near Easter since '92. I was 10 years old then and GV and LWC were the biggest contributors to my love of canyons (canyoneering) and the outdoors (exploration and seeing places most have not seen).

It is amazing how much has changed and how many people are there now. (It's not too much of a surprise considering how awesome it is there as a kid).

Crack is a good variation from LWH and D&D. Glad you all had a great time out there. And now is a great time to be in the swell where it is definitely warm but not super hot which is great to hike in and everything is nice n green.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Did Crack two week-ends ago. Perfect weather. Had my 8 year old with me. Funny how those couple of small drops weed out the posers rather quickly. We had the bottom half almost to ourselves. The kid had a blast.

[IMG][/IMG]

My favorite hike in the Swell! Nice pics!