Thread: Quandary Canyon w/ Ramp Canyon Exit

Quandary Canyon w/ Ramp Canyon Exit

I did it! I finally escaped a keeper pothole all my by self! (well almost, Josh threw the potshots haha).

Ever since my trip through Quandary canyon last year, I have wanted to go back and lead a group of my own through that beautiful canyon. My first trip was wonderful, but I didn't get the chance to actually get out of the pothole myself. I wanted that chance! Early on, I called dibs on getting out of the keeper!

It was great getting out with friends (some old, and some new). I Love the time I get to spend with people in the canyons. In the wilderness people are generally more kind, more forgiving, more helpful, more fun!

We had a early morning start. Everyone meet in Spanish Fork around 4AM. 3.5 hours later we arrived at the trailhead for Quandary. It was a great ride, quicker than expected. Cannon and I had a good vent session about BSA canyoneering and climbing policy. That conversation always keeps my mind running at 100 mph! (ugh... so messed up. Anyway....) Before we knew it we were at the beginning of the canyon.

Full TR can be found HERE
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. Likes darhawk, MiCamp liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, I've never seen Quandary that dry.

Also at the ramp, we just walk up the small ledge on the west side of the canyon (the ledge is where the canyon gets it's name from). It looks like you guys climbed some type of looped rope.

Nice video

Picture of the ramp with someone standing at both the top and bottom of the small ledge we walk up. Easy-peasy

5. Likes ratagonia, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Wow, I've never seen Quandary that dry.

Also at the ramp, we just walk up the small ledge on the west side of the canyon (the ledge is where the canyon gets it's name from). It looks like you guys climbed some type of looped rope.

Nice video

Picture of the ramp with someone standing at both the top and bottom of the small ledge we walk up. Easy-peasy
    I was using your beta for the Ramp exit. Looks like that climb up the ramp is easy in the picture. It didn't look so easy in real life haha. Someone did leave a looped rope, we used it, but I think walking up the ramp would be much easier! Nex time I will for sure go that way.

Quandary was pretty dry, but it was about this dry last year when I did it. The keeper was actually a bit deeper this time. I had to actually swim a bit.
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Nice video!
    What did you guys use for cold water protection? We are heading down there on Friday to try it out for the first time, do you have any advice?

Fun times! Thanks Blake!

9. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Did you by chance find a waterproof camera at the tough upclimb in Ramp? I lost it there last year.

Quote Originally Posted by PhysWiz View Post
    Nice video!
    What did you guys use for cold water protection? We are heading down there on Friday to try it out for the first time, do you have any advice?
    I used a 3mm shorty wetsuit and I was fine. But i only got fully wet twice. I was the only one to get in the freezing cold pothole. we rigged a guided rappel for the rest of the team.

Have fun! I love this area of the San Rafael Swell. Quandary canyon really isn't that difficult if you have a good head for teamwork and go in expecting to get out of potholes.
    My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Did you by chance find a waterproof camera at the tough upclimb in Ramp? I lost it there last year.
    We did not :(
    My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Fun times! Thanks Blake!
    It was way fun. Looking forward to our next canyon adventure!
    My YouTube Channel

Nice video . I plan on doing it mid May...I hope to get the canyon flooded before I get there

15. Likes Kuya liked this post