Thread: Little Wild Horse Canyon

Little Wild Horse Canyon

Let me just open up with this picture. This was the overflow parking lot at the Little Wild Horse Canyon trailhead this weekend. My family had a decent sized group, passing other groups of people in the tight narrows.

But, it's still a great beginner canyon, the kids always love it. I'll post more photos in a bit, I even flew the drone for a few minutes from the small fork where people like to stop for lunch. I'll get that video up within a couple of days.

Name:  20150418_112154.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  69.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Crazy! The same thing is happening at City of Rocks. Tons more people there than there used to be.

Yeah for those of us who remember back before these parking lots and latrines existed, we pull up and see the first lot full and it's like oh man. Then you keep driving ALL THE WAY BACK to the end of the overflow lot and it's like ooohhhhhhhhh man.

But that being said it's still afun canyon for the kids. It's usually only the adults who worry about finding solitude in places like this.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    It's usually only the adults who worry about finding solitude in places like this.
    It's true. It's not like it's worth it to be bothered by it. Everyone has just as much right to be there as anyone else. It's just surprising how quickly certain areas become so popular.

When I was in City of Rocks one time, we were climbing a multi-pitch route, and we quickly caught up to a slow group ahead of us. They semi-jokingly said that we were ruining their 'wilderness experience.' I've heard that phrase a few times and it drives me crazy! It doesn't make sense on so many levels.

When I first started hiking LWH there wasn't even a parking lot. You just pulled into the wash and started hiking. There was room for maybe 4 cars.

8. Likes moffer liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    we were ruining their 'wilderness experience.'

Looking down a couple of sections of LWH from the drone

Name:  vlcsnap-2015-04-19-21h52m38s252.png.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2015-04-19-21h53m40s106.png.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  vlcsnap-2015-04-19-21h54m48s4.png.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  69.7 KB

These are not the Drone clips you are looking for.

Just a quick clip in LWH while waiting for 2 huge 20+ groups to squeeze past each other butt to butt and belly to belly in the tightest spot of the canyon.

I might as well add the others here. We did a hike up to Wild Horse Window with the kids, always fun for them. Flew the drone a bit, had a massive spectacular crash with it, did some desert mountain trail repair with zip ties and finished the second half of the video, you'll notice it's more shaky than the intro. But I'm happy with what I came home with considering the crash.

15. Likes qedcook liked this post

Cool. I'm curious, what did others in the park, who could hear or see your rig have to say? Any negative comments?

No, none. I was prepared for it though so in the park I hiked to a private area alone and flew around. Everywhere else when people saw it, they all waited around with fascination... which made it very nerve-racking in case I crashed, which I did.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk