Thread: Roost - fun, non technical canyons?

Roost - fun, non technical canyons?

Any suggestions for a fun non- technical (no ropes) canyon in Robbers Roost?

Reasonable down climbing and hand lining is expected.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

In order of technicality: 1) Moonshine Wash, 2) Main Bluejohn, 3) East Fork of Bluejohn (one short rappel)

What is fun depends on what your group is capable of. Could you tell us more about your group?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Good question. It's a group of athletic scouts. Ages 12-18. Their leaders are also athletic. We're headed down to Goblin Valley. We've been through Ding and Dang, Little Wild Horse and Moonshine Wash. I'm looking for something else that can be tackled without ropes and harnesses on this trip.

If you would learn to rappel a simple 15-20 foot drop your canyon options expand exponentially.

Good point about learning how to rappel. We have several boys/adults that are fine on ropes. We have a few younger boys who have not yet had the chance. Unfortunately, I am not able to attend this trip and hesitant to suggest a technical canyon to leaders that I have not observed in canyons/on ropes with the boys previously. I would be comfortable sending them someplace with a couple of 15-20 footers that could be downclimbed but the gear is used more as safety for those that are uncomfortable. I'm less inclined to send them someplace with vertical rappels etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Good question. It's a group of athletic scouts. Ages 12-18. Their leaders are also athletic. We're headed down to Goblin Valley. We've been through Ding and Dang, Little Wild Horse and Moonshine Wash. I'm looking for something else that can be tackled without ropes and harnesses on this trip.
    Crack is really easy, and pretty good. I'd give it a 1/10 on the difficulty scale. On par with LWH.

Moonshine would be a 2/10 and Ding/Dang a 3/10, using the arbitrary non-official Slot Machine difficulty scale.

In the roost maybe try going down West Bluejohn, down the Ralston narrows, then reverse both. Bring a short rope and a couple of harnesses, just in case. There is a short traverse in West, that is a bit sketchy and might require a belay. About a 4/10 on the difficulty scale, and a full day (for the group described).

For your group, ropes/harnesses would be required for Middle Bluejohn or East Bluejohn.

Chambers and Smallcatraz are a big step up. Let's say Chambers is a 10/10 (for the purposes of this thread), making Smallcatraz a 8/10 (based on second hand info). I'd advise against both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    I would be comfortable sending them someplace with a couple of 15-20 footers that could be downclimbed but the gear is used more as safety for those that are uncomfortable.
    The only rappel in Middle Bluejohn can be downclimbed. For new folks, I'd certainly have them on belay. It looks much taller than it is from the top.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Main Bluejohn is definitely do-able without a rope, but it's nice to have a handline for scouts. East Bluejohn has one 20 foot rap down a slanted slope, and 1-2 interesting downclimbs/handlines. Either canyon could be tough if the number of scouts is high.

Going down Upper Chute to the first drop you'd feel uncomfortable upclimbing, and then backtracking out is fun and easy for scouts.

11. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Going down Upper Chute to the first drop you'd feel uncomfortable upclimbing, and then backtracking out is fun and easy for scouts.
    Good idea!

This canyon is very scenic. My wife upclimbed it 7 months pregnant. Pretty sure they could go down/up the entire thing. A short day, maybe 3-4 hours?

This is great feedback. Thank you, all!

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Good idea!

This canyon is very scenic.
    This one is also fun to go all the way through if you can handle the 15 foot drop past the big boulder.

In the San Rafael Swell there is Music Canyon if you hang handlines going down.

Music Canyon
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/music1.htm

The Chute of Muddy Creek is a good one

The Chute
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/thechute.htm

Not a slot canyon but Hurst Bridge is good

Hurst Bridge
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/hurst.htm

Not sure when you're trip is planned for but from about June 1st on the Lower Black Box ranks high on the to-do list.

Lower Black Box
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/lbb.htm

Ditto for the Upper Black Box, but you'll have to do the long version if you can't rappel

Upper Black Box
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/ubb.htm

Down by North Wash is Lower Maidenwater which is an excellent hike

Lower Maidenwater
    http://climb-utah.com/Powell/maidl.htm

I'll probably think up a few more in a few minutes.... until than enjoy your inflight movie.

I really appreciate all of your feedback on this thread! I look forward to trying out all of your suggestions at some point. Our group went out to Goblin Valley this weekend and opted for Crack Canyon. Here are a few pictures:

Name:  15575_10153248818161753_7890491323013218783_n.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  156.7 KBName:  11149407_10153248817681753_7049706344646682268_n.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  114.0 KBName:  11150353_10153248817776753_5564983714980258600_n.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  118.6 KB

17. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post