Thread: Training/Classes

Training/Classes

Hello All,

I am looking for some training in rappelling; Specifically rigging and anchoring techniques. I live in SLC and cant seem to find anything interesting/reputable in the area. All the classes I come across are in southern Utah or out of state. I consider myself a beginner even though I know many techniques and would like some proper training. Any suggestions/ideas.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Check out North Wash Outfitters. The owner is a great trainer and has awsome on - rock practice locations
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Quote Originally Posted by nathanslc View Post
    Hello All,

I am looking for some training in rappelling; Specifically rigging and anchoring techniques. I live in SLC and cant seem to find anything interesting/reputable in the area. All the classes I come across are in southern Utah or out of state. I consider myself a beginner even though I know many techniques and would like some proper training. Any suggestions/ideas.

Thanks
    The only reputable training outfit that's relatively close to SLC:

http://www.darkhorseleadership.com/#!courses/cdk6

AFAIK...

and +1 to North Wash Outfitters, if you're willing to travel.

hank

5. Likes Kuya liked this post
    +2 to North Wash Outfitters.

Dark horse, great guys. They do their training in Provo area.

8. Likes darhawk liked this post
    Thanks for the quick responses.

Quote Originally Posted by hank moon View Post
    The only reputable training outfit that's relatively close to SLC:

http://www.darkhorseleadership.com/#!courses/cdk6

AFAIK...

and +1 to North Wash Outfitters, if you're willing to travel.

hank
    Last month I had the opportunity to take the darkhorseleadership course that you recommended. It was a great class and I learned a lot. As a beginner, where do I go from here? I know that there is a lot of criticism for the "meetup" groups, but where does a beginner get mentoring from the more experienced canyoneers?

The local SLC outfit is these guys:

http://www.utahmountainadventures.co...oneering.shtml

Wasatch Mountain Club does canyon stuff.

Or, organize a trip and solicit experienced folks to participate. Especially if you have a permit on a nice weekend for a canyon in Zion...

Locally, Rocky Mouth should be coming into condition (ie, warm enough temp's soon to do it...).

13. Likes Taylor, ratagonia liked this post
    Hi nathanslc,

I am a member of multiple-Meetups and have found them all to be quite different. I started a canyoneering-centric Meetup last fall called the Robbers Roost Canyoneering & Adventures Meetup. The primary reason that I started the group was to help mentor and empower others who have a desire to learn the skills required to travel safely in wilderness environments. I have been teaching outdoor education for over 20 years, own an outdoor education and guiding company, and have an innate desire to give back and help educate our community. Feel free to check out our Meetup group, join a trip and decide for yourself. I have found gaining experience from a variety of instructors to be invaluable in gaining a diverse and broad-based skill-set.

Best Regards, ... Christopher
    Christopher

15. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Get in the Wild View Post
    Hi nathanslc,

I am a member of multiple-Meetups and have found them all to be quite different. I started a canyoneering-centric Meetup last fall called the Robbers Roost Canyoneering & Adventures Meetup. The primary reason that I started the group was to help mentor and empower others who have a desire to learn the skills required to travel safely in wilderness environments. I have been teaching outdoor education for over 20 years, own an outdoor education and guiding company, and have an innate desire to give back and help educate our community. Feel free to check out our Meetup group, join a trip and decide for yourself. I have found gaining experience from a variety of instructors to be invaluable in gaining a diverse and broad-based skill-set.

Best Regards, ... Christopher
    Thanks for the post Christopher. I hope you will stick around and share your knowledge. Bogley has lots of noobs looking for advice.

17. Likes Get in the Wild liked this post
    Thanks for the reply! I just saw your meetup group and see you are organizing a trip next weekend but it is closed. Bummer!

19. Likes Get in the Wild liked this post
    Good news nathanslc. Two people dropped out yesterday so you're all set to go. We certainly look forward to meeting you out at the Roost!
    Christopher

Thanks for joining us at the Roost Nathan. I certainly look forward to getting out in the canyons with you again in the future!
    Christopher