Thread: Water Canyon - Zion NP

Water Canyon - Zion NP

My oldest daughter Stormy and I joined up with Spinesnapper last Saturday and took a lap through Water Canyon. It was my first trip through the canyon and I'm really sorry it took me so long because it's a really good canyon. I always skipped this canyon in the past because it's a little out of the typical Zion area.

The good news is I think I've now done all the canyoneering trade routes in Utah, just off the top of my head I can't think of a canyon I'd consider a trade route that I haven't done but I'm sure there is something I'm missing.

Enjoy the video!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sorry we couldn't join you

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Shane...Here's a thought...you should redo all of those canyons with the camera crew that created the video in an earlier thread this week (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...hambers-Canyon), and step up the video/audio quality

5. Likes jman liked this post
    Love the ultra classic Leppard!

The video was sweet too, I've wanted to do this one for a while now.

Nice one, Shane, and looks like you had good conditions - yay!

Couple notes:

03:08 - those narrows can be quite challenging depending on body size/type and conditions (sand levels and log jams being the main variables).
    03:34 - this rap bypasses the classic chute rap, one of the better ones in the canyon. tsk.

With normal snowpack the canyon has spring flow, so ya gotta return someday (if normal snowpack happens again)...

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    Been through this canyon a couple of times. Perhaps worth pointing out that it isn't in fact in Zion National Park (but accessible from a parking lot behind Hildale), so no permits required. Quite a hike in during the hot season, but for lightweights there is the option of dropping in about 2/3 of the way up :-)
    A good day all in all, and not so far from Springdale going via the Grafton/Smithsonian Butte dirt road up from Rockville.

I noticed many of the drops in this canyon had multiple rap options and often a walk around if you looked for it. On my next trip through I'll probably mix it up and try some of the alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The good news is I think I've now done all the canyoneering trade routes in Utah, just off the top of my head I can't think of a canyon I'd consider a trade route that I haven't done but I'm sure there is something I'm missing.
    Nice work! That's a big accomplishment!