Thread: Englestead 4/6/15

Englestead 4/6/15

My son was going to be down from College for spring break and hadn't been in Englestead for a couple of years. My daughter had never been there and she was also out of school for the day so it seemed fitting to plan another trip through. We got a few more people together and it was set.

To avoid any car shuttling, not sure why but I try to avoid it, we parked over on the East side by the alternative Birch entrance. Hiked down the roads and atv trails straight into Englestead. We left the cars around 8am, very easy approach, thanks Tom.

The first rap is always a little intimidating and Bruce volunteered to go first on the brand new 320' x 8.3mm rope that I bought last year but had never used. I had rinsed the rope in the shower for about 30 minutes, and it really seemed to help as it was not really that fast. Based upon a previous report, 4 of the group decided to take wetsuits, bad choice in my opinion. My son and I wore neo shorts with hooded vests expecting a little more water. One pothole that was waist deep. Definitely not enough to justify the extra weight.

The rest of the canyon went quick and easy. Rap through the upper section, stroll through the mid section encountering numberous downclimbs and log jams. Into the second narrows section, leapfrogging the ropes forward. Ours consisted of a 320', thank Kyler for packing it all day in and out of the canyon, 1 @ 100' & 2 @ 120'. Perfect combo to get the first pull and then have plenty of short ones to distribute between people and keep the raps moving forward. The canyon seemed a little shorter this trip, maybe just because we flowed through it easily.

Lunch at the Orderville junction, dry as a bone. After an hour or so lounging around and getting the sun to soak up as much moisture as possible from everyones suits, we headed up. Devin scramble up the Orderville rap and set a rope for us to batman up. Then up and out the Wild Wind exit. The only problem now was it was way to early in the day for that hike out in the middle of the sun. Oh well, just keep going. We all ended up back to the cars around 4pm. Not a bad day, 8 hour round trip through Englestead then up and out. The best now, no car pickups, just head back into town for a little food.

Thanks for another great day in Zion everyone for coming with us

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great trip report Kody, Were coming out in May and June. Hope we get a chance to hit a canyon with you and your family.

4. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by iflycr500 View Post
    Great trip report Kody, Were coming out in May and June. Hope we get a chance to hit a canyon with you and your family.
    Look me up when you guys get here. I'm sure we can figure something out

6. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Nice TR. Even though it has been a dry year, it's amazing that it's that dry and that there was no snow. Sometimes there is snow in July in there.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes dakotabelliston, harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Nice TR. Even though it has been a dry year, it's amazing that it's that dry and that there was no snow. Sometimes there is snow in July in there.
    Ya. I was surprised to not have the big snow pile at the base of the first rap. I've never not seen it there before

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Look me up when you guys get here. I'm sure we can figure something out

Would really like to do Kolob

Quote Originally Posted by iflycr500 View Post
    Would really like to do Kolob

That late in the year without flow I think Kolob is only an average canyon. I actually like Boundary better than Kolob when dry, but I'm game for whatever. It's all better than sitting at home.

12. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    That late in the year without flow I think Kolob is only an average canyon. I actually like Boundary better than Kolob when dry, but I'm game for whatever. It's all better than sitting at home.

You make the call, im down for either one.

I've had a few people ask me so I'm finally getting to it. This is my opinion is the best way to do Englestead. I enjoy Orderville, but that makes for a really long day and long car shuttle.

This approach is all downhill on a road / atv trail. The Wild Wind exit is pretty easy, then a short walk down the main road back to your car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Skipping Orderville is like getting married and skipping the honeymoon. YMMV

17. Likes dakotabelliston liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Skipping Orderville is like getting married and skipping the honeymoon. YMMV
    You mean going on your honeymoon but having to bring your mother in law with you the whole time

19. Likes dakotabelliston, ratagonia, jman liked this post
    You mean going on your honeymoon but having to bring your mother in law with you the whole time
    I assume you are speaking from experience?

LMAO

21. Likes dakotabelliston, jman, 2065toyota liked this post
    Looks awesome. I need to look into this. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk