Thread: 03-31-15 - Roost - Chambers Canyon

Blog Entries

03-31-15 - Roost - Chambers Canyon

I was unable to go on this trip with my usual gang, but I am posting their TR report and video editing (from my buddy Jeff Guest - the skinny guy) of Chambers.

I'm just copying and pasting from his youtube vid:

Watch in 1080p!

In case you are wondering about the money shot at the end of the video, a group of canyoneers came up to us before we did the canyon and said one of them had their wallet in their back pocket and it fell out somewhere in the canyon. We found the wallet and had fun with the cash for the video. We Next Day aired the wallet back to the owner.

We had the opportunity to do a super narrow canyon, so we went down and had a blast! Short approach, awesome canyon, short exit. We brought some small backpacks down do to how narrow the canyon is, and 2 of us decided to leave out packs at the mouth of the slot. The other 2 brought their packs in and we all took turns carrying the packs through. Trevor ended up getting stuck in one area and I had to pull him out. He changed his strategy and and made it through. David got stuck because he opted to stay low instead of stemming up the wall, and he dropped his backpack and couldn't reach it. We were able to use a GoScope to fish it out. We had to get a sling out so David could pull himself up. It was surprising to have half of our experienced group get stuck, so beware if you are a little on the big side and don't get into a situation that you can't get yourself out of. A durable softshell jacket was ideal to have from all the grinding we did against the abrasive walls. My Carhartt pants got pretty fuzzy, and I'm sure a second trip through would put some holes in them. Trever got a nice hole in the back of his pants, so be sure to where clothes you don't mind destroying. Knee and elbow pads can be a plus. If you have a backpack a bunny strap will be useful in the Mae-West sections. A small headlamp is also useful. We exited out of the tight slot and slogged down canyon and found a big sand hill going up the side of the cliff that we used to exit early on. We hiked backed to the mouth of the canyon, grabbed out packs, and hiked back to the car. The hike out was easy, but we also had a very nice wind blowing to keep us cool. The hike out might suck a little without wind, but I had enough energy to do the canyon a second time in a row, but some of the other guys were done.

Song is: Oh Tebins - Tickle Parts

My brother and I shot this video with a GoPro HERO4 Silver and a GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition at 1080p at 30fps and edited with iMovie. Brandon had his HERO4 mounted to a GoScope Extreme which is a telescoping pole and it works great with the J-Hook mount! Get your GoScope at http://go-scope.com. I opted to film on the helmet in the canyon so I could use my hands, but the video turned out very shaky, so I mostly used Brandon's footage. Get a GoScope!!!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    https://youtu.be/IlIZJjpOYW4
    Edit: I'm not sure why it doesn't show the vid here automatically??
    Because you are not posting the correct link. The correct link should look like the code below inside video tags. The link you posted also gets you there and is something youtube uses as a redirect for some reason, but it doesn't embed.

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIZJjpOYW4

Blog Entries
    Thanks Shane...much betta
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Good video! :) One of the better ones I have seen from Jeff. Just wish that darn pole wan't in some of the landscape shots. i tend to get distracted by the pole and miss the cool scenery.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

6. Likes jman liked this post