Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think my 9 year old will be fine in BlueJohn canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Shaye, when are you planning on going? If you really want to see the chockstone, I could take you there, but early May or earlier is better.
    Could you go, say, May 1-3?
    Scott, that would be awesome. Let me check my schedule tomorrow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I need photographic evidence that you have been through the Squeeze Fork, on account that you are twice my size.
    I'm now thinner than you. I've lost 35 pounds since you last saw me. I'm nearing my old prime time canyoneering weight.

And for the record, not only have I been down the Squeeze, but I went up it first.

4. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Shaye, when are you planning on going? If you really want to see the chockstone, I could take you there, but early May or earlier is better.
    Scott for the win.

The Ralston Route is great fun, you'll have a blast, it's a PITA arranging that heli-shuttle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I've done this. It took us 12.5 hours, no shuttle. A good day hike? No. Hell in a handbasket? Yes.

But we were new to canyons, and quite slow. Could probably do that route in 7 hours now.
    I took my GF on this route in April about 5 years ago. It was her second canyon. Anyway, I missed the west fork and went up the wrong place. I knew what direction the car was parked so I kept heading that way. We eventually could see the car, but had two valleys between us to descend and climb in very lose sand and running low on water on a Hot April afternoon. Was great fun though because now she's hooked. :-)

"My primary goal is to see Ralston's rock"

I'm missing something here...has it turned into a tourist destination? The blood's all washed off by now.

Rob

(But nice pic of the high stuff, Scott ).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    I'm missing something here...has it turned into a tourist destination? The blood's all washed off by now.
    It became a popular tourist attraction about 5 minutes after the first news reports hit the air.

The good news is many tourists changed their vacation plans when they discover it was two hours in on a rough dirt road and there where no RV hookups at the campground.

On an interesting side note I can look at the keywords folks use to surf into the Climb-Utah.com website. "Bluejohn", "Blue John" and "Ralston" are always in the top five most popular. "Zion" and "Subway" are usually the other two.

It became a popular tourist attraction about 5 minutes after the first news reports hit the air.
    I agree, but do you think interest is starting to wane? Bluejohn is still very popular, but it seems like visitation/interest may be declining?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I agree, but do you think interest is starting to wane? Bluejohn is still very popular, but it seems like visitation/interest may be declining?
    Interest certainly declined after the initial mass pounding of the first year or two. Interest has now reached a steady level over the past 5 years and I expect it to stay at that level for a long time. Interest in Bluejohn is 100 times any other canyon in the area, with the possible exception of Horseshoe, and that's all because of Ralston.

Horseshoe is kind of hard to judge because it's part of the Ralston story, it is a National Park, and it contains the Great Gallery, so it's hard to separate the interests shown in the canyon. But comparing Bluejohn to something like Larry Canyon, which was roughly it's equal before Ralston the difference in interest is staggering.

YMMV

12. Likes jman, Scott P liked this post
    No, but I could do it in two weeks. April 24-25 ish. How does that work?

No, but I could do it in two weeks. April 24-25 ish. How does that work?
    Unfortunately, I have a climb planned that week and already have a reservation at a backcountry hut.

I can send you a good map and description of how to get to the specific chockstone if you go on April 24-25.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Awesome. Please do. Thanks for all your help!!!

Make sure to check your PM. II sent a bunch of information with some good maps.