Thread: Pine Creek rescue underway

Pine Creek rescue underway

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=30

ZION NATIONAL PARK — Search and rescue crews responded to a man who was injured in Zion National Park Friday afternoon.
    A man was canyoneering in Pine Creek when he was injured, according to Zion National Park public information officer Aly Baltrus. Baltrus said initial reports stated that the man may have broken his leg.
    A search and rescue crew of around 15 members was dispatched to the incident and Baltrus said the rescue would take several hours.
    The Overlook Parking Lot was closed during the recovery efforts.
    In 2014, search and rescue teams were dispatched to 80 incidents in Zion National Park, with three fatalities.
    More information will be posted as it becomes available.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shane is there...........:)

I'm currently safe, drinking a beer and having dinner.

The day I need to be rescued from Pine Creek is the day I hang up my harness. I'd crawl out of there with a broken leg before I'd suffer the indignantly of a kiddie canyon rescue.

5. Likes spinesnaper, Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'd crawl out of there with a broken leg before I'd suffer the indignantly of a kiddie canyon rescue.
    Is that you again Cotton?

Ever since Busters thread all of your posts are in Cotton's voice. Extra laughs for me.

7. Likes ratagonia, Slot Machine, Iceaxe liked this post
    Haha... it does read better in Cotton's voice.

half hearted enthusiast Kashmire's Avatar
    80 rescues seems like a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmire View Post
    80 rescues seems like a lot...
    That number includes canyoneers, hikers, climbers and base jumpers that don't land well.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    That number includes canyoneers, hikers, climbers and base jumpers that don't land well.
    Base jumpers that don't land well don't need rescuing.

12. Likes 2065toyota liked this post

That's an impressive picture of the rescue. The SAR boys there have skills.

15. Likes Taylor liked this post
    From today's morning report:

Zion National Park (UT)
    Injured Man Rescued From Slot Canyon

Park dispatch was contacted by the fee ranger at Tunnel East around 2 p.m. on the afternoon of April 3rd and informed that there was an injured man in Pine Creek Canyon requesting assistance. Pine Creek is a technical slot canyon requiring wet suits and multiple rappels.

The reporting party was a member of the injured person’s group and had ascended a rope that another group in the canyon had fixed at the first rappel. He said that a member of his party had broken his ankle at the second rappel in Pine Creek and would need SAR personnel to help him out.

A technical rescue team was organized and had a high line with a reeve system set up by 5 p.m. A high line with a reeve is a system where a rope spanning the canyon is tensioned and the rescuer and litter are attached to the high line with a pulley and pulled across using tag lines on either side of the canyon. The rescuer is positioned directly over the patient in the slot canyon and lowered using a technique called a reeve.

Ranger-Medic Ryan McDonald-O'Lear, who was lowered to the man, provided medical care and packaged him for extrication. Both were then raised to the high line and moved back across the span to the Canyon Overlook Trail. The injured man was carried off the trail by wheeled litter and transported via park ambulance to Dixie Regional Medical Center.

Fifteen SAR personnel took part in the rescue, which took approximately 5 hours to complete.
    [Submitted by Andrew Fitzgerald, Park Ranger]

17. Likes Taylor, nkanarik, jman, Scott Card liked this post