Thread: Munra Creek: Columbia River Gorge

Munra Creek: Columbia River Gorge

Met up with some friends this Sunday with the intent of running through Dog Canyon on the Columbia Gorge. Much to our dismay water levels had increased 50% in three days since the scouting mission took place (confirmed by comparator photos). Ran the quad-copter over the drainage that confirmed the utter beat-down that a team would receive in Dog that day.

We defaulted to our back-up plan, Munra Creek: http://ropewiki.com/Munra_Creek

Fantastic little canyon that undoubtedly is less spectacular in later season but this weekend it was in fantastic form.

As many of you are probably aware, snowpack levels are dismal in the PacificNorthwest this year and if you intend to visit the PNW canyons count on water levels being much lower in respect to the same month of previous years.

Name:  DSC09821.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  283.2 KB

Name:  DSC09824.jpg
Views: 8271
Size:  154.3 KB

Name:  DSC09853.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  288.5 KB

Name:  DSC09854.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  290.4 KB

Name:  DSC09863.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  273.0 KB

Name:  DSC09890.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  299.3 KB

Name:  DSC09892.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  216.0 KB

Name:  DSC09914.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  231.7 KB

Name:  DSC09934.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  334.7 KB

Name:  DSC09958.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  272.2 KB

Name:  DSC09983.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  278.0 KB

Name:  DSC09998.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  263.5 KB
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for sharing. Never heard of Dog Canyon. It's an amazing place up there.

Hmmmmm...
    Looks like copies of our CRITR.
    Where did you source them?

5. Likes deagol liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    Hmmmmm...
    I heard one time that the greatest compliment a gear maker could get was to get copied ;) Looks like people like your product enough that they are starting to do so. :)

The double slotted CRITR doesn't seems to practical to me. I never use more than the one slot. even with my Totem I never used more than the one slot. Oh, im sure there are plenty of useful applications, BUT in my experience I didn't really ever need the two holes. MIGHT be good for rigging though.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

I used both slots in the Totem several times (throttle mode), but don't use the slot in the CRITR at all. I have seen your rigging using the slot for the Heaps rap- good to know the option is there.

The double slots on the Totem were made more useful due to the long length of the Totem being easy to use as a lever for various applications. The CRITR copy doesn't seem like it would work well for that.

As far as copying the CRITR so closely, I don't know anything about that sort of thing, but wonder if it could be some sort of "violation" if it is patented. Don't know.

YMMV

Yeah, it is a violation of the CRITR patent.
    The two slot design is too much like the ATS so we never went there.
    We hope that future rappel device developers will follow Luke's (SQUIRL) and our (CRITR) example and produce something
    ORIGINAL.

9. Likes Kuya, deagol liked this post
    You make good points. I agree. When rigged right, the slot in the CRITR makes for a great ascending rig too :)
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Hmmmmm...
    Yeah, it is a violation of the CRITR patent.
    The two slot design is too much like the ATS so we never went there.
    We hope that future rappel device developers will follow Luke's (SQUIRL) and our (CRITR) example and produce something
    ORIGINAL.
    I myself use a beat up ole' ATS. I havent the slightest how or where my friends obtained special devices but I am pretty bummed that you hijacked my trip report thread with discussion about it. Suggest a courtesy PM in the future before blasting my thread with something I know nothing about.

I dont know a damn thing about patents/copyright law but before you jump to conclusions (which appears to already be the case) perhaps you should establish if this is or is not a home-grown, self made device for private use as opposed to being marketed & sold.

12. Likes harness man liked this post
    Hi Erik
    Don't blame you for being offended: you put serious effort into posting quality trip reports.
    Apologies for hijacking your thread!
    Desi and I take pride in producing original, quality canyoneering equipment.
    And we take offense when someone hijacks our designs, whether for personal or commercial use.
    And we have not received any apology or explanation for this.

Nice TR, EB.

Can we see some of your quad copter photos?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    You make good points. I agree. When rigged right, the slot in the CRITR makes for a great ascending rig too :)
    This sounds interesting - please elaborate (with pix if possible).

Hi Attila
    out of deference to Eric's thread it would be best to bump the CRITR thread with this one!

17. Likes deagol, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    This sounds interesting - please elaborate (with pix if possible).
    Ill see what I can do :) Ill post this on the CRITR Thread when possible.
    My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Nice TR, EB.

Can we see some of your quad copter photos?
    Dog Canyon in conditions likely resulting in a beatdown:

Wish I could say I was the pilot of this badboy...but I'm not.

20. Likes Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Outstanding. I'm impressed that you guys went through after seeing the footage. Looks like a LOT of water on the video.

Thanks for sharing.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Outstanding. I'm impressed that you guys went through after seeing the footage. Looks like a LOT of water on the video.

Thanks for sharing.
    On the contrary...we bailed on Dog Canyon BECAUSE of the footage seen above and trucked over to Munra Creek.

23. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    amazing area...very cool photos and great use of the quad.