Thread: Thoughts about hiking with dogs or dog friendly trails?

Thoughts about hiking with dogs or dog friendly trails?

So we tackled the Adam's Waterfall hike in Utah this weekend for our Wanderookie blog. The trail was very dog friendly. I like dogs but there were a TON and no one really cared if their pet pooped right in the middle of the trail. So I was just wondering what thoughts were on hiking with dogs. Do you care if the trail is dog friendly or not? Do you keep your dog from pooping on the trail? Is there some sort of dog hiking etiquette?

You can check out our trip report here: http://wanderookie.com/blog/2015/03/30/adams-waterfall/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    When did you hike it? I did it on Saturday (28th) and oh man oh man, what a zoo...like always.

I hiked it about 1pm and was the lone runner, going UP. Great exercise!

Adams is a classic for sure for all off our reasons in your blog.

The hiking with dogs thing is a mixed bag.

I personally don't mind, but on a well travelled trail - the dog(s) should be leashed. Even little sugarpaws who has "never bit anyone" or "wouldn't hurt a fly" needs to be tethered to you. Crowds, running water, tight trail spaces, high anxiety are just a few reasons a dog might go out of control. Besides, it's the right thing to do, especially in Adams.

I would think the right thing to do is pick up after your dog. Especially on the trail. If it's off the trail - then at the minimum, bury it or cover it up.

It is important for your dog to get out and run. But there are appropriate places to do so. Popular canyons you have to be careful. Make sure they are leashed.

If it's a scramble up nowhere and no-one is around bring a leash, but let your dog go wild. Wear them down. It might be awhile before they get another chance to do so.

Those are just a few thoughts and ramble.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Leave the dogs at home. Just had to take my friend to the ER yesterday. He was hiking in the National Forest nearby and got bit by a pit bull who's owner had just muttered "don't worry, he doesn't bite."
    It's lawsuit time.

The land management agencies don't like dogs off leash. They harass other hikers, they harass wildlife, they tromp through sensitive areas. Leave the dog home. If it must come with you, keep it tightly leashed.

I like dogs. I really do. I’m a dog guy although I currently don’t have one at home. I hike and mtn. bike multi-use trails a TON so I’m speaking from years and decades of experience. Please keep them on a short leash. You and only you are responsible for your dogs behavior and any encounter others may have with it. I don’t know that your dog is friendly and won’t bite- even when you tell me so. I don’t know your dog, so I will always be on the defensive when your dog approaches. I hate it when dog owners tell me their dog is friendly. I’ve been nipped at twice and my wife has been bitten once by a “don’t worry, he’s friendly” dog while on the trail. My experience has taught me that dogs behave differently in a close quarters space like on a singletrack hiking/biking trail. They don’t want to move off the trail any more than we do. Consequently, by nature, they also get defensive. I’ve had to kick dogs on the trail several times and I’ve had to use pepper spray once. Each time they were off-leash. All that being said, MOST dog owners I encounter are cool and have their pets under control. I ride with a bear bell which is always dinging so hikers (and their dogs) can hear me coming and aren't startled. I love it when the owner has the dog on leash and cinches up their hold to the collar when I’m approaching on my bike. That’s the most ideal and many, many dog owners do this. It’s the irresponsible few I have a problem with.
    Are we there yet?