Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepay for search & rescue

I was discussing this with a friend of mine, who stays connected with Utah County SAR (has been a team member in the past and will be again soon) and he said that this will not cover any medical, ambulance or helicopter expenses. A person could still be held liable for that portion. Edit: he also mentioned that Mountain Star hospitals (Payson, Price, others) now charge $50,000 for a helicopter ride. Yes, that's $50,000. It's nuts. Something to keep in mind for sure. ( @Bootboy , can you confirm this?)

Question: Will every county now charge for SAR services? I think if word got out that someone recreating in one of the other 27 counties, who hadn't paid the dues, needed to be rescued and wasn't charged...that might cause some discontent by those that have paid their annual fee.

I dunno, I guess I'll just look at it as a charitable donation and hope it actually gets to the SAR folks on the ground.
    Last edited by Sandstone Addiction; 04-18-2015 at 12:58 PM. Reason: more info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Update:

A reliable source indicates the USARAC (Utah search and rescue assistance card) program will go online at rescue.utah.gov around November 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    Colorados COSAR card is only 3$ per year, or 12$ for 5 years. http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251592090523
    The Colorado CORSAR card program has been quite successful and many people of all recreational persuasions participate, so the money comes from all types of users and doesn't unfairly "tax" anyone. The costs is completely reasonable. I'm very glad to see Utah get on board with something like it. Just remember, it does not exempt one from the cost of a heli ride to hospital or provide medical insurance for injuries. Also - it should be extended to non-state recreationists.

Isn't this why we pay taxes? I'll buy a card the day they start charging for the fire department or police department responding to a call.

6. Likes caboalta liked this post
    $50K for a helicopter ride? just leave me here to die, I can't afford to be rescued..

Blog Entries

Prepay for search & rescue

I can see both sides: for and against this but I think in the end, this will be a good thing (and the gold standard nationwide eventually).

At the growing rate of canyoneering and Utah's growing outdoor exposure to the world, SAR isn't growing in comparison. Something needs to be addressed to help those guys out. And I don't think once a year fundraisers are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"