Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepay for search & rescue

Prepay for search & rescue

How many of you think you'll sign-up? Other thoughts?

http://fox13now.com/2015/03/29/new-l...ixed-reaction/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'd sign up, but I live outside UT. Why do they limit it to UT residents? They should expand it beyond if they want to generate more revenue (e.g. get canyoneering bodies to offer it, NPS to charge non-UT residents when applying for high risk areas permits, etc.)

Or they could raise the hunting fishing fee to $0.63 and HOV/Boating to $1.25 they would cover 100% of costs.

5. Likes deagol liked this post
    The fishermen and boaters were bitching "why should we be the ones forced to finance SAR when we use such a small percentage of the actual budget". And they have a point. Hikers and mountain bikers were they big users of the SAR budget last time I checked and neither group contributes a dime.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Hikers and mountain bikers were they big users of the SAR budget last time I checked and neither group contributes a dime.
    Huh. Hikers and mountain bikers are exempt from paying taxes?????

It the license and registration. I guess it is easy to levy more money on someone who is already being taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Huh. Hikers and mountain bikers are exempt from paying taxes?????

Go buy a hunting and fishing license after registering your boat and we'll talk.

10. Likes Glenn, dougr, oldno7 liked this post
    Are there any Bogleyites, or any for that matter. That have been charged for a rescue? If so how much?

Colorados COSAR card is only 3$ per year, or 12$ for 5 years. http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251592090523

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Are there any Bogleyites, or any for that matter. That have been charged for a rescue? If so how much?
    Grand County (Moab) charges for SAR, I think they are the only ones that do it as standard operating procedure.

I believe some have been sent the helicopter bill when a private companies copter was used.

How many of you think you'll sign-up? Other thoughts?
    I won't be signing up. As a dues paying member of the American Alpine Club...we get rescue insurance.

"So...I got that going for me. Which is nice."

(Caddyshack quote)

15. Likes Glenn, Taylor liked this post
    Grand County (Moab) charges for SAR, I think they are the only ones that do it as standard operating procedure.

I believe some have been sent the helicopter bill when a private companies copter was used.
    So is the feeling the other counties are going to start charging? Weren't there several rescues last year in the Hogs? Did anyone get charged? The lady at Stans said it was the same group both times?

To the best of my knowledge the Hog rescues were paid for by the county, as I'm sure you know the Hogs are not in Grand County, which is the only county that bills.

Personally I'm not a fan of this deal for a multiple of reasons. But I also don't think it's fair they jack up the hunting, fishing, OHV and boat registration fees to pay for the SAR program. I think the funding should come from the same source as fire and police funding.

18. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I'd probably buy into it if it were reasonably priced. For me that'd be around $15; about the same price as a beer and a burger after a canyon.

Of course we could also just levy a surcharge on tuxedo rentals.

20. Likes deagol, Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCamp View Post
    Of course we could also just levy a surcharge on tuxedo rentals.

Home run, OUT OF THE PARK!!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Go buy a hunting and fishing license after registering your boat and we'll talk.
    So what you're saying is that you want to buy a hiking and canyoneering license after buying your hunting and fishing licence after registering your boat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'd sign up for that program above, at least if the money went to SAR.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

How about putting a tax stamp on rope to support SAR-that should to it.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    How about putting a tax stamp on rope to support SAR-that should to it.
    Only if it also includes Harbor Freight ropes...

25. Likes Don, Slot Machine, harness man, deagol liked this post
    From sad personal experience I can confirm that Wayne County also charges, seemingly standard procedure. Cost was about $4000 (not including medical). Helicopter was about $700 of the 4k, I believe that cost is dependent upon which helicopter group responds.

Just a quick update. It looks like the new Utah SAR Insurance Card is going to cost $25 for an individual or $35 for a family and will be available by June. The details are still being worked out.

28. Likes ratagonia liked this post