Thread: Preparing for Imlay!

Preparing for Imlay!

What up guys! So I'm looking for a little advice from the experienced. So three or four of us are planning an Imlay trip. We have a strong group, good experience, and we are going to get more pothole experience. For pothole tools we have three pot shots and two BD talons. (are those the best hooks for imlay?) My real question: what is the best time of year to go? We are thinking the first week of June. The reasoning is that it is a little warmer but not too hot like July/August and maybe a little more water while avoiding monsoon season. What are your thoughts? Any other golden nuggets of advice?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't there there is a best time. Conditions change weekly. The more competent you feel, the less stressful it will be and the more enjoyabl . Just try to find out the conditions before you head out and/or be prepared to deal with the worst. It is an awesome canyon and a lot of fun but make sure you give the dangers their respect

Anyone been through recently? In 2015?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PhysWiz View Post
    For pothole tools we have three pot shots and two BD talons. (are those the best hooks for imlay?) My real question: what is the best time of year to go? We are thinking the first week of June.
    June (especially late June) pretty good for the reasons you've listed. Long daylight hours too.

I have a couple of custom filed hooks I like for drilled holes. They're BD Cliffhangers. I drill a hole (3/8" is probably the size hole you'll find) and then cut them down to fit perfectly. Nice especially for blown out holes. The Talons work ok too. I like the Grappling hooks for misc hooking. Nice throw.

Get a pre-dawn start and keep moving!

Cheers.

1st time our group made it a point to go through after a good flush so we knew it was mostly full. Maybe another style hook for diversity or in case one is lost? Agree with the above on an early start! The approach is nice in the dark that time of year and catching a sunrise at the head of the canyon is worthy.

Please try to avoid hooking and use it only a last resort. The holes blowout and leave unsightly craters in pothole lips. Then it gets redrilled and the process starts over. It's sad that this technique ever got started, let alone that it has become standard practice.

Most, if not all of these potholes can be overcome with a little team work and skill, which, at least for me, is one of the most satisfying aspects of doing difficult canyons. Hooks can be a useful tool in emergencies, but I consider their use as the main pothole tool to be crass and poor form.

Rant over

if current weather patterns persist, depending on the the runoff (if there is any), Imlay could be as dry as its likely ever been encountered this summer. One storm in the right spot can top it off though. Watch the local weather for several weeks prior and try to get good info on recent conditions. Go prepared for the worst. Preparedness as far as skills will be your greatest asset. practice, practice, practice.

Taylor

8. Likes Skeeter, Slot Machine liked this post
    Most, if not all of these potholes can be overcome with a little team work and skill, which, at least for me, is one of the most satisfying aspects of doing difficult canyons.
    Note to self: Invite Bootboy next time I do Imlay.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    June (especially late June) pretty good for the reasons you've listed. Long daylight hours too.

I have a couple of custom filed hooks I like for drilled holes. They're BD Cliffhangers. I drill a hole (3/8" is probably the size hole you'll find) and then cut them down to fit perfectly. Nice especially for blown out holes. The Talons work ok too. I like the Grappling hooks for misc hooking. Nice throw.

Get a pre-dawn start and keep moving!

Cheers.
    For Imlay - Talons work great in 3/8" drilled holes, what you will find there.

There is no "miscellaneous hooking". The ONLY hooking is in drilled holes. In my experience, 1000+ days of canyoneering, hooking features other than drilled holes is highly unlikely, here, there everywhere, in canyons. If you can hook it with a grappling hook, you can probably use it as a handhold and get out.

I have a writeup on preparing for Imlay and Heaps here: http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/...nical/preface/

Yes, June sounds good. Long daylight hours help take off the need for speed. High air temperatures tend to keep the chill at bay. Hitting the trail an hour before dawn is a good idea. I'm in favor of the Sneak Route, as the upper section of Imlay is nice, but not special in the Zion context, like the lower section is.

Tom

11. Likes GueroSteve, 2065toyota liked this post
    We weren't planning on even bringing a drill bit. Is it worth bringing one? And as far as sneak routes go, left or right? I remember a poll on that subject, maybe I should revive that.
    Thanks for the info.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhysWiz View Post
    We weren't planning on even bringing a drill bit. Is it worth bringing one? And as far as sneak routes go, left or right? I remember a poll on that subject, maybe I should revive that.
    Thanks for the info.
    It is smart to bring one, with a drill holder (Pecker). Hammer much more questionable.

On 20+ trips through, I have not needed one for hooking holes.

It is good sport to try to escape all the potholes without resorting to hooks.

Tom

14. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    We descended Imlay as a team of two in early June last year. It was quite full, so had to hook out of 2 or 3 potholes only. Set off from the Grotto at 05h15, right sneak then a leisurely late breakfast at the alcove, lunch between the two narrows sections, and rapped into the Virgin narrows at 15h30. As others say above, early start and keep going....

A larger group gives more flexibilty and opportunities for pothole escapes instead of hooking; with 3 or 4 I would look to other solutions before getting the Talons out. With two only, observing the 'leader gets out of the pothole before last man gets in' safety rule, means being ready to hook if necessary.

Best investment I made for the Imlay trip was a pair of neoprene gloves, and an extra neoprene long-sleeved top to go over a regular 4/3 wetsuit. The water *is* cold, and you are in it for a *long* time.

Imlay is a very pretty and indeed a challenging canyon...but if you want a *real* long wilderness day out, try Icebox (big wall entry) which we enjoyed 2 days afterwards :-)

And we'll be back in Imlay (and Icebox, Heaps, Choprock, Neon, etc) in 2 months time... Hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There is no "miscellaneous hooking". The ONLY hooking is in drilled holes. In my experience, 1000+ days of canyoneering, hooking features other than drilled holes is highly unlikely, here, there everywhere, in canyons. If you can hook it with a grappling hook, you can probably use it as a handhold and get out.
    I've used "miscellaneous hooking" in Heaps and Imlay. If nothing else, its an option to help with balance when climbing up to better features.

Have also used a Happy Hooker in Imlay to avoid drilled holes (Stevee B and I did at least...it held on the worst looking seam...but, worked).

Like I said, YMMV. I'd rather have an option to hook than have to pull out a drill.

Or, bring a strong climber.

Does remind me of Jared C's story of passing folks in Imlay...they wondered how he defeated a pothole so quickly and were looking for his hooks... "What'd you use, how'd you do that?" He laughed and held up his finger...

For those of use who don't climb that hard, bring a hammer and a drill. Don't use it unless you have to. Unless you're willing to bet your life you won't need it. Although, its seems some folks' life isn't worth that much...

Its bad form to die.

Good luck!

17. Likes Taylor, ratagonia, jman, Michael_WB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Note to self: Invite Bootboy next time I do Imlay.
    I would gladly go along.

I fancy myself as somewhat skilled at escaping potholes.