Thread: Canyon fire or Canyonero?

Canyon fire or Canyonero?

Hey all,

So I have been (non-technical) canyoneering for a few years and have a friend who is going to help teach me the ropes (see what I did there?) of more technical routes and I am looking to get some advice. I spent a few years of my life climbing so I feel fairly confident I can catch on to the basics fairly quickly, but have always used 10.2mm dynamic rope. Obviously my current rope is no good for canyoneering but would I be better off with a bigger rope like the Canyonero or something a little smaller like the Canyon Fire? I'm thinking about jumping in full force and getting both a 200' and 75' section.

I'm on the larger size (190 lbs) but still feel I would be good with the 8.2mm, however I can also see situations in the future when my skills are better that I could bring along some partners with limited or no experience, so I would want a rope that is versatile. Thanks for any advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Considering your current skill set and experience go with the Canyoneero. The bigger rope is a little more forgiving of errors.

The Canyon Fire is the ideal daily driver. Light, tough, good hand, doesn't stretch, looks cool. Feeds quickly, but not dangerously so. Dreamy once broken in.

I'd get a Canyon Fire, and if it you don't like it (IMPOSSIBLE! ), then try a Canyonero.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

So one vote a piece huh? lol. I figured it may go down like that. Probably a lot of personal preference involved.

I'm with Mr. Ice Axe

A lot of it does come down to preference, mine is actually the 8mm canyonPro, but that stuff is really expensive. I like skinnier ropes since they are lighter, smaller, cheaper, all good things. If you go with the canyonero you won't be disappointed, but if you get the chance try to hook up with someone who has both and will let you try them out first so you can make the choice off experience. I would however suggest a 120' as your shorter rope instead of the 75'.

8. Likes 2065toyota, jman, Slot Machine liked this post
    Might want to check out a recent thread on this topic.

hank

10. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    A lot of it does come down to preference, mine is actually the 8mm canyonPro, but that stuff is really expensive. I like skinnier ropes since they are lighter, smaller, cheaper, all good things. If you go with the canyonero you won't be disappointed, but if you get the chance try to hook up with someone who has both and will let you try them out first so you can make the choice off experience. I would however suggest a 120' as your shorter rope instead of the 75'.
    x2. I agree to the 120' length. In my foolish years I used a shorter rope and always had the "if only this rope was a BIT longer". With the 120 foot rope, you won't have that for the initial beginner round of canyons that you do.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

BTW 75' is a great length of rope, just not as a start to your collection.

I'd say go with the Canyonero based on your weight and skillset (thicker rope will be more forgiving with bad rope placements over sharp edges)

canyonero is a solid, stiff rope and works fine when wet.

14. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going with the 120' instead of the 75'. Also the thread posted by Hank convinced me to ditch my old reliable atc for an ats. I would go for the critr but they are out of stock currently. I am still a little up in the air about the size of the rope though.

For those of you saying the Canyonero is more forgiving for beginners, are you referring to actual safety/speed of the rappels, or is it mainly the durability of the rope due to lack of experience with placements? Sorry for seemingly kicking this dead horse.

16. Likes Eastoahu liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    For those of you saying the Canyonero is more forgiving for beginners, are you referring to actual safety/speed of the rappels, or is it mainly the durability of the rope due to lack of experience with placements? Sorry for seemingly kicking this dead horse.
    Yes to both your questions.

You need to understand no matter how skilled and talented you are in other outdoor activities you are still a beginner when it comes to canyoneering. I guess you can look on the bright side of that and know that beginners chew up ropes with great regularity and no matter what rope you buy you will probability be replacing it in the near future which will give you a chance to change things up :-)

18. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    I'm also voting for the Canyoneero (I'm +210lb)

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Also the thread posted by Hank convinced me to ditch my old reliable atc for an ats. I would go for the critr but they are out of stock currently.
    ATS good (much better than ATC), but...

might check with Canyonwerks by phone and see where all them CRITRs have gone. Bet you could still pick one up at Zion Adventure Company or Desert Rat (for example).

200-220 canyonero, 120 canyon fire.

10.2mm double is quite different than 8.2mm single strand. I love my canyonfire but new people tend to favor the canyonero after rappeling off both due to the extra friction.

Just go with the ATS. Its amazing.

Especially after running a ~400 foot flowing waterfall with a single ATC while freezing cold.. was not fun.

ATS for the win.

I ended up going with a 120' of Canyonero. I won't need a 200' for a while and figure I might as well try the more conservative one to see what I like best. Thanks again for all the advice.