Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rapel Devices

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    We hiked about 8 miles in a day in Arches last year in the middle of June (Devils Garden) plus some other smaller hikes. 9 miles in April's cooler weather should be doable.
    Not trying to rain on your parade but when my son was 12 years old Subway was brutal on him. He is not going back I can promise you that. In that same year he did Englestead, Pine Creek and most of the other routes in Zion. YMMV

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I am sure it will be a long day and we will take it slow. He seems to be able to keep up pretty well and enjoys scrambling up rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I would not bring a kid, no matter how good a hiker, on it in April or in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    I am sure it will be a long day and we will take it slow. He seems to be able to keep up pretty well and enjoys scrambling up rocks.
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

5. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    And, really, the park shouldn't issue one and not the other. Unreasonable expectation for sure.
    The problem with this is that sooner or later the masses would realize that getting a DB permit let you do the subway and all the schmucks that couldn't get a subway permit would then gobble up the DB permits whether they were doing it or not.

I thought this thread was about rappel devices....

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Hiking on a trail and picking your way down a streambed with minimal social trails are very different things.

Tom
    My memory after 5-6 times in Subway is of there not being much of a trail really in the upper part as you hike down from the actual Subway. Lots of rock hopping, creek crossings, etc. Only in the last couple miles as you get closer to lower TH does a trail emerge. Certainly nothing like a maintained trail in Arches, or Zion.
    I hope it goes well but methinks not a good hike for small kid.

Definitely understand the difference. The Devils Garden trail does have a decent portion of the trail is across slick rock and more primitive. Not as much as the subway but it isn't as maintained as other park trails either.

My kids did top down Subway when they were 6 and 8. They both enjoyed it and have done it numerous times since. With kids you just have to slow down and go at the speed they want.

Some kids are ready at 6 and some are never ready, it just depends on the kid, their experience, their likes and their goals

Just for fun, here is a picture of my kids first trip through Subway. If I remember correctly I carried my daughter through several of the deep pools so she wouldn't get cold.

Name:  subway8.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  81.9 KB

Hey Deagol
    At least it is family friendly

13. Likes deagol, Absolute Gravity liked this post
    Just completed 7 canyons with the CRITR device, and I don't have enough words to describe how pleasant it was to rappel with it (prior to CRITR, I tried various ATC, ATS rappel devices). I love the preset friction setting as well as the on-rappel friction setting (which I used many times during these canyons). I must say, I was worried at first that the CRITR will wear-off very quickly, but even after 7 canyons (with lots of water and sand) it's still in a very good condition! I'd recommend the CRITR to anyone who's looking for a new rappel device.

15. Likes harness man, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Just completed 7 canyons with the CRITR device, and I don't have enough words to describe how pleasant it was to rappel with it (prior to CRITR, I tried various ATC, ATS rappel devices). I love the preset friction setting as well as the on-rappel friction setting (which I used many times during these canyons). I must say, I was worried at first that the CRITR will wear-off very quickly, but even after 7 canyons (with lots of water and sand) it's still in a very good condition! I'd recommend the CRITR to anyone who's looking for a new rappel device.
    I agree 100% as well.

That new descender, the SQWUREL, looks pretty interesting too made by Luke of Bluugnome.

But the crittr worked very well on a 350ft cliff I did a couple weekends ago here in Northern Utah.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

17. Likes harness man liked this post
    The CRITR is also my go to device right now. Being a little taller and heavier, it seems to work a lot better for me. The ATS is in my pack as my back up which I also really like, I just like the settings on the CRITR a little bit better. Looking forward to trying a SKWERUL though

19. Likes harness man liked this post
    Welcome to the family!

Name:  welcome.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  54.6 KB

You can check out Luke's SQWUREL at BG-Gear.com
    Nice work Luke!

21. Likes Brian in SLC, hank moon, ratagonia liked this post
    Just grabbed mine and will try it out in the Subway tomorrow. I can't wait to get my SQWEREL in action! I