Thread: Fiery Furnace

Fiery Furnace

I heard legend this was a good place to find a guide into Arches heart, The Fiery Furnace.

My girlfriend and I have long been lovers of the whole area, and especially The Furnace, and we recently moved to Moab for at least a few months, maybe forever? We have been in The Furnace many times, but obviously, are yet to have a complete mental map of the place.

We would love to go in there with someones who knows the good routes through her in their bones...

Specifically, we'd love to do some canyoneering into places we haven't found yet, but just a good hike guide could be fun too.
    We have little to no experience, or gear, when it comes to actual canyoneering, but we are pretty fit and enthusiastic, albeit fairly protective of our personal safety.

We would of course be happy to compensate fine knowledge and gear, with money, other forms of barter, and of course - a day with quality company in one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Please get in touch if you think we might jive.

Thanks,
    Ocean Byrne
    720-810-3837

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We would of course be happy to compensate fine knowledge and gear, with money, other forms of barter, and of course -
    Paying for a guide in Fiery Furnace would be illegal.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Paying for a guide in Fiery Furnace would be illegal.
    Hmmm? At the Arches Visitor Center we were informed that they allow up to 25 people on "Commercial Expeditions" per day, along with 50 regular passes.

Regardless of the "legalities", I'm sure there are any number of ways we could arrange a mutually supportive arrangement in enjoying The Furnace together...

We like your signature ScottP, one must always tread with respect wherever you are, especially in a place as sacred as The Fiery Furnace.

With regards to commercial guides in the Furnace. They are not allowed to guide technical routes (use of ropes). And you must use use one of the commercial guides permitted to guide inside the park.

Friends guide friends for beer and/or dinner

We are good cooks. And we even have some fancy beers imported all the way from Colorado...

Are you sure you are not confusing the name Fiery Furnace with somewhere else. I've never heard of any commercial guides operating trips in the Fiery Furnace. What I do know is that the rangers guide hiking groups around. When I was last there they said they did this to stop people taking routes that might destroy the cryptobiotic soil. At that time people could only go independently if they promised they had been before and knew their way around well. I don't know if that has changed. I guess the park website would say or you could contact them.
    If you are in the Moab area and want to do some canyoneering with commercial guides in other canyons, then I can recommend Navtec. In fact, if you are interested, I was due to go with them last year with a friend to High Spur, which I've heard many times is a very beautiful and fun canyon near Canyonlands National Park with a few rappels if you want to go all the way through, but rain led to it being cancelled. I'd like to go again but it would be too expensive on my own, but split 3 ways would not be too bad (they take at least 2 guides and vehicles for the shuttle and as it's quite a long drive I believe you go the afternoon before and camp for an early start, or they can fly you to a nearby strip in the morning). If it interests you let me know as I don't live in the U.S. but I will be back in Moab around August 26, 27, 28 or 29th

High Spur in August would be brutally hot.

Getting to high spur from Moab would seem like going half way around the earth and ending up not far from where you started. As far as fiery furnace, deseret highlights use to guide canyoneering routes. They lost their permit several years ago. You can still go in to the furnace just gave to jump thru the hoops.

Fiery Furnace Canyoneering
    The Fiery Furnace is finally open again and I’m looking for a partner to pass down the oral tradition of coming and providing route a beta Thursday May 13th of Friday May 14th