Thread: Yankee Doodle Conditions?

Yankee Doodle Conditions?

I was thinking about doing yankee doodle canyon in the next couple days, but from a bit of searching, it looks like recent floods turned it from an A to a B rated (Lots of standing water.) Has anyone been down it recently? Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yankee will never be a "B" canyon unless it is raining or flooding. We do it in the middle of Winter with nothing but neo socks. You will regret taking a wetsuit if that is what you are asking

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    Yankee will never be a "B" canyon unless it is raining or flooding. We do it in the middle of Winter with nothing but neo socks. You will regret taking a wetsuit if that is what you are asking
    Talked to Curt who hiked it last saturday and he was very thankful to have worn a wetsuit! 6 full on long swims.

5. Likes 2065toyota liked this post
    That's what the last candtion sounded like too. Glad to have a wetsuit.

I've been there prob 10 times and never seen it with more than waist deep water or even a spot there could be a long swim

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been there prob 10 times and never seen it with more than waist deep water or even a spot there could be a long swim

I haven't been recently, but underlying conditions have apparently changed quite a bit in Yankee Doodle. See:

http://canyoncollective.com/betabase...8/#comment-146

Here are some quotes from that site, posted the last few months:

"Huge floods this September dramatically altered the canyon. Yankee has more of a rocky bottom than a sandy one. I was really surprised to see the huge amounts of rock scoured out of places creating new water holding capacity. At least 3 possible swims these days when its full."

"Wish I would have checked First. Canyon has been washed out a lot. A lot of standing water I have never seen here before. Chest deep in 2 holes, Waste deep in 2 more, and a couple knee deep. Not such a sandy bottom anymore a lot of rock exposed."

I used to think the same, but Pine Creek made me start thinking otherwise. In the early 90's about 2/3rd's of the way down the "slotted section" there used to be a VERY LARGE boulder section that enabled a person to scramble up a fair sized (two story home sized) boulder on canyon right ldc, and there was a 2 bolt anchor on the canyon wall to use for a 25' rappel off the backside of the boulder. Well....now the area is sandy wash bottom without a hint of a boulder field at all! If you look up though you'll still see the 2 bolt anchor! I also remember that in the early 90's swimming was much more the faire during the "slot" section! Canyons do change DRAMATICALLY!

10. Likes 2065toyota, Taylor, darhawk liked this post
    Bo, you will be happy to know Pine Creek has now clogged up again and the old bolt station you mention is back in service.

FWIW- when I first started going Pine Creek in the 90's the Cathedral was a jump for most.