Thread: Bluejohn Squeeze Fork

Bluejohn Squeeze Fork

On March 18th, 2015, Mark B, Tony ( @Absolute Gravity ), Micah ( @MiCamp ), Shawn, Andy and I challenged ourselves by heading through the Squeeze Fork of Bluejohn Canyon.

This canyon was very scenic with multiple challenging downclimbs (optional rappels). The third downclimb is about 25 feet and can be done two ways: downclimbing directly, or; stemming over a silo at about 28 feet, then sliding down the hallway on the far side of the silo. I opted to go over the silo and found this to be a rewarding step in my canyoneering skill progression (not bragging, it really was fulfilling). A bit scary, requiring full concentration, but not too difficult.

The crux was challenging, both physically and psychologically. The canyon narrowed to about 12 inches. We stemmed far from the floor, having no idea exactly how high we were. It looked like about 10 feet, but it was actually 30, the bottom 20 feet being pitch black. A fall all the way to the floor was entirely possible. In some spots falling and getting hopelessly stuck was also possible. Flashbacks of my bad day in Trachyotomy surfaced and were suppressed. "Think happy thoughts of Middle Lep", I said to myself.

Tony led the group through the crux. He is the right size and the right skill level to avoid trouble in spots like that. We were all happy hear him descend safely to the pitch-black ground level, completely invisible from above. His coaching from that vantage point helped us all avoid trouble.

We then headed down the fantastic East Fork, Micah and I headed back to the cars while the others climbed Middle Bluejohn. All of us completed our adventures at the same time, 6 hours car-to-car.

A outstanding day to conclude a great trip, with friends new and old.

-Bob

Name:  P1020087.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  10258143_10206241784029623_7036874166444413491_o.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  57.9 KB

Looking into the silo that some of us chose to stem over.
    Name:  P3180121.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  86.9 KB

Mark heading down after crossing the silo.
    Name:  10838069_10206241785589662_1160661970505194989_o.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  130.7 KB

Name:  P1020091.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  P1020094.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  89.5 KB

Heading towards the crux.
    Name:  10866122_10206241786829693_844864781144130211_o.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  104.0 KB

Andy reaching the floor of the canyon after completing the crux narrows.
    Name:  P1020098.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  41.8 KB

Mark in the East Fork.
    Name:  P3180129.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  106.1 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Haha... I'm the one that named it the "Squeeze Fork", funny that the name stuck as I was not really intending to name the option, I just needed a way to differentiate the narrow option from the standard option. Now I feel bad I didn't give it a really cool name like "Busted High Man"... LOL

Just curious, at one time there was a warning scratched in the wall at the head of the squeeze. Something to the effect of if you enter here you will die. Just wondering if it was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just curious, at one time there was a warning scratched in the wall at the head of the squeeze. Something to the effect of if you enter here you will die. Just wondering if it was still there.
    The scratched warning is no longer there.

We were pretty surprised by the bolted warning sign. Placed there by the BLM? NPS? Seems like a lot of effort. I wonder what the story is.

We cut out some webbing... should we have taken the sign too?
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

Several people have been trapped in the Blue John Squeeze. One guy spent 5 days trapped until he was finally able to free himself.

So I take it the sign is where you drop into the Squeeze?

Here is the story of the guy trapped in the Squeeze Variation:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?49821

Here is some interesting discussion on rating the Squeeze Variation:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?62635

Great TR Slot! Good job on tackling your fears. How wide is the silo? If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? Did you guys protect the silo crossing? Looks like you had some gear based on all the backpacks, and I saw the rope in the third pic. How much of that gear did you find useful?

7. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So I take it the sign is where you drop into the Squeeze?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Great TR Slot! Good job on tackling your fears. How wide is the silo? If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? Did you guys protect the silo crossing? Looks like you had some gear based on all the backpacks, and I saw the rope in the third pic. How much of that gear did you find useful?
    Thanks!

I'm 5'9".

It is not possible to protect the silo crossing, because you must stem up to get across. If the edge of the drop is 25 feet, then the start of the silo crossing is 28 feet. The silo narrows slightly at the top and leans to the right. If you put your back on the right wall and your feet high on the left wall then it is a pretty easy move. But it is no easier than downclimbing the other way. Those in our group that crossed the silo did it for the novelty.

The rope in the third pic was there when we arrived. We elected to leave it. I don't think any of us even touched it.

I think Shawn used a harness for the first drop, otherwise, nobody got their harnesses out.

Our packs were nearly empty. We did have a 45 foot rope. Other things I found useful: I wore two shirts, elbow sleeves, thigh/knee sleeves AND volleyball knee pads. This proved to be a good combo. A couple of headlamps would have been VERY useful at the crux. Next time...

9. Likes deagol, WorkBad liked this post
    Knee pads are for chicks.

***snicker-snicker***

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe;567828.
    Now I feel bad I didn't give it a really cool name like "Busted High Man"...
    If I hadn't have taken the picture I'd swear this was the first canyon siting of Buster High Man

Quote Originally Posted by MiCamp View Post
    If I hadn't have taken the picture I'd swear this was the first canyon siting of Buster High Man
    There might be a joke about Sam ( @SRG )'s mom there too.

13. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    This thread just keeps getting better... hahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    We were pretty surprised by the bolted warning sign. Placed there by the BLM? NPS? Seems like a lot of effort. I wonder what the story is.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71453

Nice trip report!

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Great job with this one. I hear you about the challenges, lots of mental. I remember when you tackled the cauldron.

Sweet accomplishment!

18. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    On March 18th, 2015, Mark B, Tony ( @Absolute Gravity ), Micah ( @MiCamp ), Shawn, Andy and I challenged ourselves by heading through the Squeeze Fork of Bluejohn Canyon.

This canyon was very scenic with multiple challenging downclimbs (optional rappels). The third downclimb is about 25 feet and can be done two ways: downclimbing directly, or; stemming over a silo at about 28 feet, then sliding down the hallway on the far side of the silo. I opted to go over the silo and found this to be a rewarding step in my canyoneering skill progression (not bragging, it really was fulfilling). A bit scary, requiring full concentration, but not too difficult.

The crux was challenging, both physically and psychologically. The canyon narrowed to about 12 inches. We stemmed far from the floor, having no idea exactly how high we were. It looked like about 10 feet, but it was actually 30, the bottom 20 feet being pitch black. A fall all the way to the floor was entirely possible. In some spots falling and getting hopelessly stuck was also possible. Flashbacks of my bad day in Trachyotomy surfaced and were suppressed. "Think happy thoughts of Middle Lep", I said to myself.

Tony led the group through the crux. He is the right size and the right skill level to avoid trouble in spots like that. We were all happy hear him descend safely to the pitch-black ground level, completely invisible from above. His coaching from that vantage point helped us all avoid trouble.

We then headed down the fantastic East Fork, Micah and I headed back to the cars while the others climbed Middle Bluejohn. All of us completed our adventures at the same time, 6 hours car-to-car.

A outstanding day to conclude a great trip, with friends new and old.

-Bob

we were there on march 14th, down east and up the squeeze until too much water ,was as skinny as shenanighan skinny and up mainBJ, really nice next time from the top down and see if we can reverse east with a 4 people group can be staggered for the 2 dryfalls probably

Quote Originally Posted by hesse15 View Post
    we were there on march 14th, down east and up the squeeze until too much water ,was as skinny as shenanighan skinny and up mainBJ, really nice next time from the top down and see if we can reverse east with a 4 people group can be staggered for the 2 dryfalls probably
    Hey Cristina,

Did you climb the crux of the Squeeze Fork?? If so, did you go under or over the log? I've heard conflicting rumors that this is possible (it sure didn't look possible).

We went over the log and stayed VERY high, in the light, a needless risk. Next time I'll head for the floor sooner.