Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strava Club

In my continuing effort to beat my times on Strava I have once again ate shit at speed. Thanks to Strava I know that I was clocking 28 mph when I washed out my front end and did a face first slide through 20+ feet of thistles and other painful shit. Limping off the mountain was made more fun knowing that I had just laid down some bitchin' PRs. My goal for the summer was to get sub 10 min on Rush... tonight, just prior to my impending brush with pain, I clocked a 9:37. Strava is the source of my pain... 4 good wrecks last season... all trying to seat a PR. This is the first this year - I may have to uninstall the app...

Who else is a regular casualty of Strava?

2. Likes accadacca, hikster11 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

After a couple of near misses I changed up my Strava routine and now only consider records when climbing to be worthy accomplishments. Chasing downhill records is a fools game as it does nothing but invite you to take bigger risks which each new attempt.

I see the filter at the bottom of the screen in the app.

The rest of you candyass bike riders really need to step up your game. Ya'll are letting an old man make you look bad

Name:  bogley.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  25.0 KB

Nice job, Iceaxe! My excuse? We've been moving into a new house over the last couple of weeks. I think I've done 2 rides in that time. We finally got all moved on Saturday but, now I'll be doing a bunch of chainsawing up AF Canyon this week trying to get the Ridge Trail #157 network of trails cleared so we can get them open. My next ride may not be until Saturday morning.
    Are we there yet?

...oh, and I'm also old, 55, and I really felt my age during this move!
    Are we there yet?

I just turned 55 last month. When I look around at others our age I notice we are in a very rare group. Most are overweight and spend their spare time watching TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I just turned 55 last month. When I look around at others our age I notice we are in a very rare group. Most are overweight and spend their spare time watching TV.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about this a lot since my birthday a couple of months ago. I'm 55 and I would guess I'm in the top 10%, at the very least, and maybe in the top 5% for fitness level for men my age. Not bragging, it's just the way it is. I feel blessed to have had the desire and ability to have always stayed in shape since high school. Cycling has played a huge role in that for the past 25 years or so. I'm on only 1 prescription medication- Nasonex for allergies. I perform quite well against guys half my age on the bike- road or mountain. I can bike as far as I want. I can walk as far as a want. I can hike as far as I want. Without feeling like I'm going to die after the first mile. A couple of months ago we saw a former neighbor at the movie theater. We are the same age. He is my same height (6'8") and at the time we were neighbors, was only slightly heavier than me. Now, he weighs a good 400 pounds and I thought he was going to die climbing the theater stairs to his seat. I felt sorry for him. I don't know why he hasn't kept in shape. He'll be lucky to live another 5 years. Again, not trying to brag, just reiterating that consistent exercise does wonders for the body.
    Are we there yet?

12. Likes jman liked this post
    And you have to admit.... it's a lot of fun when you pedal past a kid half your age.

14. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    The rest of you candyass bike riders really need to step up your game. Ya'll are letting an old man make you look bad

Views: 321
Size:  25.0 KB
    At least I'm not in last place! I ride a lot less when I'm playing double header softball Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights! I think Shane's is all mtn bike miles too which is even harder.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I think Shane's is all mtn bike miles too which is even harder.
    I have less than 3 road miles this year, and the road miles were just hooking different trails together. I does help to have a world class trail system in my backyard :-)

17. Likes nelsonccc liked this post
    Here is last weeks results....

Views: 286
Size:  25.8 KB

20. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    What? No STRAVA tracking for doing this? I'm complaining to customer service!
    Name:  20150519_174654 (Medium).jpg
Views: 299
Size:  102.9 KBName:  20150519_175853 (Medium).jpg
Views: 271
Size:  105.2 KBName:  20150519_173030_resized (Medium).jpg
Views: 265
Size:  114.2 KB
    Are we there yet?

22. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    joined. If I can ever get it to stop raining in Logan.......

Welcome!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

After a couple of near misses I changed up my Strava routine and now only consider records when climbing to be worthy accomplishments. Chasing downhill records is a fools game as it does nothing but invite you to take bigger risks which each new attempt.
    Additionally, this mentality can really damage goodwill with other trail users. Mountain bikers have already created a semi-negative air for ourselves (whether deserved or not), but this strava-fication of downhills on popular multi-use trails is a very bad trend.

It can happen on the uphill as well, though it's more rare. Don't be a Strav-asshole.

A couple days ago I had some dumbass nearly fly up my ass, about the time he nearly ran me over he starts screaming "Strava, Strava" so being the easy going guy I am I made my bike a little wider and took a little longer to allow him to pass. I don't think he really understood I could careless about his Strava records :-)

27. Likes tallsteve liked this post
    A couple days ago I had some dumbass nearly fly up my ass, about the time he nearly ran me over he starts screaming "Strava, Strava" so being the easy going guy I am I made my bike a little wider and took a little longer to allow him to pass. I don't think he really understood I could careless about his Strava records :-)
    I do exactly the same thing. If I hear somebody coming up behind me, I will gladly expediently get off the trail so they can pass. However, if somebody has the audacity to yell "strava" at me, I then do everything in my power to delay them to the fullest. That has only happened to me once, but was one of the douche-iest things I have ever witnessed in the outdoors. I just completely ignored him and eventually he went off through the grass and weeds to get around me. I of course sped up enough to where he couldn't make the pass and had to merge back in behind me before he hit a tree. I then started laughing which made him even more pissed off.