Thread: Laptop Computer

Laptop Computer

My daughter is away at college and her laptop (Acer Aspire V5) just went tits up, which really ticks me off as it was an expensive computer and is just over a year old. Of course the warrenty is only good for one year and I was told the motherboard has a short.

Anyhoo.... long story short, I need a good, reasonably priced laptop for her. Anyone know of any good deals or have any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

For the last 10 yrs or so i've bought only refurbished corporate fleet laptops, such as Lenovo T-Series Thinkpads or HP Elitebook. You can usually pick up a nice one for $150 - $250 on Amazon. Keep in mind that these machines were $1500+ when new.

Recommended Amazon vendor: Data Sales. They offer excellent machines and service.

Might also check with newegg.com. I haven't used them, but stuff looks good, including the guarantee.

The matte black Thinkpads are not sexy, but the Elitebooks are at least quasi-sexy.

You're kinda asking 'what's a good shoe'.

What is reasonably priced? What is she studying? What software does she plan on installing? Is there an industry standard in her major? And finally, does she have a preference?

Her preference is that dad pays for it. The computer doesn't need to be anything special. She uses it to email, google, write papers, store nude selfies of herself and her friends. Just the typical college type crap. It needs to be able to run MS office without falling on it's face.

And I've always received good recommendations from Bogley on computers. Lots of computer geeks on here that usually know where a good deal is. Advice like Hank provided is what I'm looking for.

Are you sure it is dead? What happens when you try and turn it on?
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

It won't turn on. You press the on switch and nothing happens. The big problem is she is away at school, she took it to a local repair guy and he told her the motherboard had a short. I have no clue if he is correct. I'll have the laptop in SLC in two weeks if someone wants to try fixing it at a reasonable price. I paid about $700 for the laptop a year ago. I know it had a real high end graphics card in it so she could game.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscGo View Post
    Are you sure it is dead? What happens when you try and turn it on?
    Name:  Hello-IT-Have.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  34.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Advice like Hank provided is what I'm looking for.
    Got it. My computer advice would be worthless for what you are looking for.

I've bought 3 laptops from staples in the last year. 1 Lenovo and 2 Toshiba. I think I prefer the Toshiba ones but they are pretty similar. They have good sales and rebates quite often. I don't think I've paid more than 550 for any of them. All of them at least an i5

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick update... we sent the computer back to Acer, we'll see what happens. Acer basically said the first guy to look at it was full of shit because motherboard's don't short unless you drop them or spill something on them. I'll keep you posted.

Most people don't realize that their files are still safe even if the laptop gets pretty much destroyed. If the monitor shatters, the laptop cracks in half, it burns in a fire, the keyboard explodes, or the lid pops right off... the hard drive is most likely untouched and all of the files are right where you left them.

So whatever the condition of the laptop is, the files are still there and they can easily be recovered and copied over to another machine.

13. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    We already pulled the hard drive and extracted all the important files before sending the computer back. She also does a good job of backing up her school work. As a business owner I know the importance of backing up. It only takes one crash costing you thousands of dollars before you learn how important back ups are.

Carbonite is well worth the money

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah I can tell you from experience that all of the local tech support geeks in Cedar City are incompetent jackasses. I took a cell phone in for repairs and they took 2 weeks to break the screen and wreck the touch screen, then claim it wasn't their fault. Sheep-loving Idiots.