Thread: Gunsight Notch Peak

Gunsight Notch Peak

Gunsight Notch Peak (6,200' above sea level) is one of the more obscure sandstone highpoints in Red Rock Canyon, Nevada. Some argue that it is not an autonomous peak at all, but rather a subpeak of the nearby giant Rainbow Mountain/Wall. I'll leave the hairsplitting to the peakbagging Pharisees. The peak is named after a nearby feature called Gunsight Notch, on the saddle beween this peak and Rainbow; a narrow slot which widens into Juniper Canyon.
    This peak had been on my tick list for some time, with a few failed attempts due to time constraints and routefinding mistakes. I finally determined to crack it out solo, and was well-rewarded for my efforts. This is a hike with plentiful water features, even after a dry winter: Gunsight Notch Canyon was full of small picturesque waterfalls, pools, rivulets, and also on the final steep burgundy sandstone climb to the notch. A tad sweaty and aching on the way back, and with the canyon bereft of human traffic, I was unable to resist the urge to strip down and refresh myself in one of the icy pools. Capital stuff!
    The route is pretty straightforward. Beginning at the Pine Creek pullout in the Red Rock loop, bear left after about a mile, where the canyon is split by red-tipped Mescalito. The trail disappears, and the canyon is then followed up via much boulder-hopping until it veers around to the south (left). There are some cairns, but none really necessary as the direction of travel is obvious. Nothing exceeds short, easy class 3 here (or, indeed, at any point during the hike). After the left turn, another side canyon will appear on the left (east) after perhaps half a mile: you may see a large cairn perched atop a huge boulder, marking the entrance. The sandstone in this side canyon is remarkable: steep, sharply-cut terraces of claret, almost purple rock, interlaced with fast-flowing little streams. I had to be careful to avoid slippery wet spots. I found it easiest to head straight up the canyon, until reaching a stretch of mildly sketchy class 3: at this point I bailed left, and found cairns leading usefully up to the notch, and then the yellow sandstone summit a few minutes away. Exposure on the final stretch can be avoided by staying in the middle of the summit ridge.
    I would estimate the round trip distance atName:  DSCF2791.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  106.1 KBAttachment 78767Name:  DSCF2793.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  87.5 KBAttachment 78768Name:  DSCF2804.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  93.1 KBAttachment 78770Name:  DSCF2811.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  83.4 KBAttachment 78772 six miles. Breathtaking views - as one would expect - and a superior hike to nearby Juniper Peak, which has been a personal favorite for some time.
    A concluding word: there is some brush to be negotiated, as this peak does not see a massive amount of visitors, and I found a tick burrowing into my flesh when I got home. Next time I'll wear long pants and spray my clothing with Permithrin! But don't let that put you off: Gunsight Notch Peak is a worthy, enjoyable objective.

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Interesting hike...So, you basically hike up to the end of the canyon just left of the Brownstone Wall? And, up through the "gunsight"?

When you do Jupiter Peak, do you go over from the Gunsight Notch Peak, or, from the right side of Brownstone Wall?

I've done a number of rock climbs on Brownstone. So, have come down the Gunsight a number of times, and, down Jupiter Peak a number of times too (finishing Armatron or Requiem for a Tadpole). Jupiter Peak is a great gig and a neat trail!

Good times...nice TR...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Interesting hike...So, you basically hike up to the end of the canyon just left of the Brownstone Wall? And, up through the "gunsight"?

When you do Jupiter Peak, do you go over from the Gunsight Notch Peak, or, from the right side of Brownstone Wall?

I've done a number of rock climbs on Brownstone. So, have come down the Gunsight a number of times, and, down Jupiter Peak a number of times too (finishing Armatron or Requiem for a Tadpole). Jupiter Peak is a great gig and a neat trail!

Good times...nice TR...thanks!

Actually, this route goes up the south (left) fork of Pine Creek, then curves around the back of Juniper/Gunsight, and up Gunsight Notch Canyon. The standard hiking route to Juniper Peak goes up Juniper Canyon, leaving Pine Creek near the old homestead foundations, then parallels Brownstone Wall heading east before the final gully to the peak. You can reach the Notch via Juniper Canyon as well, left of Brownstone Wall as you said (although I have only done it from the back way, as described here). Thanks for reading!