Thread: Rare opportunity in Yampa in Outlaw Park, DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT

Rare opportunity in Yampa in Outlaw Park, DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT

Well, the post subject was to catch attention, but it is a limited opportunity in the sense that apparently it's only possible to walk in and alongside the "most spectacular" section of the Yampa river during a few weeks in August and Well, the post subject was to catch attention, but it is a limited opportunity in the sense that apparently it's only possible to walk in and alongside the "most spectacular" section of the Yampa river during a few weeks in August and September when waterflow through the gorge is held back for irrigation. And very few people seem to hook up to see it apart from those on expensive raft trips.
    Readers of Kelsey's Colorado Plateau hiking book will see the hike I'm talking about in the Yampa canyon of Dinosaur National Monument, along with some great photos. It involves about 3 miles each way around Outlaw Park which he says is the most stunningly beautiful part, but it looks impossible to see this even from the rim without difficult hiking a lot off trail for perhaps an obscured view, and it isn't visible from the unpaved road.

To access straight into what Kelsey regards as the best section of river the shortest option Kelsey says is a steep hike down from the plateau near Pyramid Rock. The alternative is a longer hike down Red Rock Canyon which also leaves you further up river and facing an extra couple of miles each way river walking on top of the best 3 miles of river.

As no other hikers are likely to be going down to the river it would be great to find a hiking partner(s).

The day I have set aside is August 15. However I'm told although its a good unpaved road, its impassable when wet and hiking in a monsoon season flood wouldn't be wise so I will keep up with weather forecasts in the few days before and reschedule if necessary so it would be good if any partners are flexible for a late postponement to the next good day out of the 16th, 17th or 18th (or if they all look bad perhaps trying the 14th).

Hopefully time will also allow to afterwards go down a nearby dead end plateau road off the Yampa Bench Road (about 3 miles of unpaved) to a disused weather station that offers wide rim views further down the river canyon past Outlaw Park and for some distance across the opposite side, plus rapids and possibly the confluence of the Yampa and Green.

I will be in Vernal nearly a week if someone wants to make a little vacation of it and take a car down the Yampa Bench Road viewpoints and do some hikes near Echo Park overlooking Steamboat Rock.

Last edited by kaniukr; 03-18-2015 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Think it came out blank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

thought I'd give this another try as my first invite was way ahead, but now the proposed August 15 (saturday) date is only about a month away if anyone is interested. I have several maybes from other sites, but wouldn't mind a couple of definites.

Here is a topo showing the Outlaw Park area of the river gorge. https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?la...=zoomin&size=m