Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Corner Canyon Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Well...the sun is out a bit.
    Hahaha.... I'm sitting here hoping things dry out a little so I can turn some laps later this afternoon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Let us know what you find out. I'm guessing it will be a muddy mess. I'm going to try and sneak in a rode ride in between flurries.
    Are we there yet?

Not to bad if you are careful where you ride. Look at my Strava and you can see what was dry. I wasn't really muddy at all until I tried to ride down the new pipe line rode back to the EQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Not to bad if you are careful where you ride. Look at my Strava and you can see what was dry. I wasn't really muddy at all until I tried to ride down the new pipe line rode back to the EQ.
    Coolness. I figured it would be good to go by the morning. At least the lower trails. I will look over your Strava route.

I bet past the bridge on ghost is muddy and other trails in the trees. I might try to ride over to bear canyon too, it might get soft in a couple spots. It looks like a few sprinkles tonight. Looking forward to warmer temps and the warming trend over the next week!

I couldn't get to ghost falls without messing up the trail. I rode up north ghost to where I could intersect rattler, and than down rattler. So really only the bottom section of rattler was rideable.

Corner Canyon Conditions

I had to go around or carry my bike over a few places to get to the bridge on rattler. Lotta tire tracks up there. I did a few laps on the lower trails. BST to the bear canyon bridge was ok.

Bloody rain! I had to carry my bike in a couple places this morning to make it to ghost on rattler. The lower trails are okay and just wet on top with the occasional puddle. The rain wasn't heavy. If the sun comes out today it will dry out the lower trails, but this rain really delayed the upper muddy trails by a few more days...

From Draper City - At the present time, dogs are no longer allowed in Corner Canyon above Bonneville Shoreline Trail. Dogs are still allowed on a leash in other areas of Corner Canyon that are not in the Watershed. Unfortunately, the City had to change this policy due to high levels of bacteria in the Draper City drinking water.

Here is my report from this morning. The lower trails are dry. All the way to the ghost bridge on rattler is okay. There might be a couple soft spots during the day, but not bad. I went above the bridge at ghost and made it all the way to the top, see my pictures below. When I woke up it was 31 degrees, which was kind of a bummer because I wanted to wear shorts. However this made it perfect to ride all the trails without issue. The ground was frozen and many places are rutted with deep hikers shoe prints as well. Many bikers and hikers alike have really trashed sections of the trail. I don't get it, because I would not continue riding if my bike was digging in that deep on a trail and I was plastering it with mud. Same goes for the hikers, wtf are they still hiking for if it is that muddy?

I went right over the top of all the mud and hardly got anything on my bike. Just a little from the puddles that I couldn't fully avoid. I don't think I would have made it all the way up upper ghost if it would have been warmer. Most of it above the bridge is okay, but the very top is trashed and muddy. I went down canyon hollow from ghost, then down rush at the connector, then up gasline. I would avoid all three of those trails for at least another day. They will be very muddy once the sun comes out and the ground gets warm. I went up potato hill and couldn't believe how jacked up the trail was from the hikers. It looks like a herd of elephants went through in several places. Long sections of the trail too. Many of the trails are going to need some traffic to get them back into shape. Too many people hiking and biking muddy trails. I then rode red potato and down BST to the swimming pool. That section will be muddy in places too for another day above Mike Wier. Below it isn't too bad as it gets sandy.

Name:  IMG_7682.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  121.2 KB
    On the way up Gasline

Name:  FullSizeRender 9.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  146.4 KB
    The top of Ghost at the gate on the road. Hardly any mud, but only because it was frozen!

Name:  IMG_7685.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  138.5 KB
    This used to be the intersection of canyon hollow and where you could jump on the lower piece of rush. Yikes!

Name:  IMG_7687.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  145.8 KB
    Canyon hollow on the right and the other piece of canyon hollow on the left. You can still kinda connect them there on the other side of the road.

Name:  IMG_7688.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  138.6 KB
    This was at the BST and Clarks intersection

The gas line sucks and has ruined a lot of great trails. CC is currently split into a north and south side and it's difficult to get between the two sides.

Name:  20160402_132236.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  159.9 KB

Agreed, they are really jacking things up.

When the gas line came through bountiful on the Mueller park trail they were issuing citations for anyone getting near their construction sight. I'm surprised that anyone is even allowed to ride there right now.

Bountiful police are only one step below jack boot Nazi and the layout of CC is nothing like Mueller Park.

There are still plenty of trails to ride in CC that are no where near the construction. The trails that are closed are signed and the MTB's just ride elses where. It just sucks that it's hard at the moment to connect the south side trails with the north.

Rode from the top of Maple Hollow down to the Tater Tunnel this evening. 4 or 5 wet spots. The wet dirt is tight and left tir tracks less than 1/4" deep. By the end of the week it should be all dry. Headed up Anne's from the tunnel -- 3-4 wet spots, no real problems or mud to speak of. Headed down Brocks/Trees. There were worse mud spots on the upper section than there were on Anne's or Maple - still able to ride the edges and not tear up the trail... please slow it dow when you get to wet areas so you have time to react before rutting the trail.

Corner Canyon Trail Report current as of 4-8-16

Rattler - open.

Ghost Falls - open

BST - open

Potato Hill - open

Red Potato - open

Oak Hollow - open

Spring Hollow - open

Quail Trail - open.

Saddler - open.

Gas Line - open.

North Ghost Falls - open.

Aqua Duct - open.

Ann's East - open

Ann's West - open

Clark's - open

Maple Hollow - open

Maple Hollow DH (aka: Draper DH) - open

Peak View - open

Jacob's Ladder DH - open

The Equestrian Center to the lower CC road is currently open, but it's a two-way trail so use caution. The Lower CC road is closed for construction and you must use Carolina Hills to reach BST/Aqua Duct/Gas Line and the upper canyon,

Canyon Hollow - Is closed below Ghost Falls for construction and is open above Ghost Falls.

Rush - CLOSED!!! There is no section of Rush that can be ridden where you are not crossing construction and/or interfering with construction. Don't be a asshat, go ride another trail. The Maple Hollow DH and the Jacob's Ladder DH are both open, go ride those trails. The quicker the gas line is in the quicker we get our canyon back.

Creek View - closed for construction because of the new gas line.

Brock's - closed for construction because of the new gas line.

There is a possibly of rain over the next few days, PLEASE DON'T RIDE MUDDY TRAILS!

Name:  20160408_133318.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  83.2 KB

Who's idea was it to widen the eagle crest trail? I loved that trail and I have no idea how much further it will be widened. $&#%!!! [/facepalm]

They are not widening Eagle Crest, it's just normal trail maintenance. The trail will narrow back up as soon as maintenance stops and nature takes over. This maintenance has been scheduled for a long time and that side of the mountain was badly in need of some love. The entire trail will receive a makeover.

It's going to be widened pretty much the whole way. I just got off the phone with Bill Becker who has the Corner Canyon Trails Foundation. We were discussing some other CC stuff and I asked him about Eagle Crest. It is being widened (to the width of all the other CC trails on the Draper side) to accommodate more traffic. It is quite narrow. Even I've had challenges passing other riders riding in the opposite direction. He said that trail has been there for a very long time and wasn't planned out the best and hasn't seen any love. Once completed there will be a big push to get people riding it to help 'dilute' the traffic from the other trails. I see this as being a good thing for the trail system as a whole although I'll miss the solitude I typically find on Eagle Crest. They are also going to start digging a new trail in Mercer Hollow (Utah County side) that will connect with Eagle Crest to the west and Hog Hollow to the east. Sounds like it will be another good looping option.
    Are we there yet?

...also, having been involved in building a bunch of trail, the trail cat always cuts a fairly wide swath at first but, the finished trail itself will still only be roughly 32" - 36" wide when finished. It always looks bad at first and the larger disturbed ground fills in quickly with growth. Don't sweat it.
    Are we there yet?

I don't like it and didn't see anything wrong with the existing trail. I hope it gets better.