Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Corner Canyon Conditions

Very cool!
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I road down rush this morning 7/3/15. Part of Rush trail is closed. They detour you just a little ways past the turn off to for tree trail option. You eventually get back on Rush. I think there doing more trail work.

Middle Rush was open today and the improvements and realignment are really good/fun. I would expect the middle section to be closed off and on for at least another week as improvements continue.

FWIW- if you climb up Ann's you can look down on the meadow/rest area and see if the trail is open or closed as they place red streamers across the trail when it's closed. I try to avoid Rush when the mid section is closed as the detour sucks.

5. Likes whansen liked this post
    Corner Canyon is perfect at the moment. The leaves are turning, the temperatures are ideal and the trails are in great condition.

7. Likes whansen liked this post
    I haven't pedaled CC since last spring. With the days getting shorter and rehearsals starting for a Christmas play I'll be in, my ride time is getting squeezed. As I pedaled my road bike up the south side of Suncrest a couple of days ago, I noticed a whole bunch of construction going on just below the summit and right where the dirt road comes up from Hog Hollow and allows you to connect to the Eagle Crest Trail. Does anyone know if one can still pedal through that construction zone, cross Suncrest Drive and access the Eagle Crest Trail?
    Are we there yet?

You could still pedal through the construction two weeks ago. You can also pedal up the road another 1/4 mile to the TH at the top of Coffee Grinder and completely miss the construction.

Thanks, Ice. I guess I'll give it a try and find out. I've never been up the road to Coffee Grinder but, you're right, looks like a good option if the other route is blocked.

Name:  CC Trails.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  32.1 KB
    Are we there yet?

I pedaled it yesterday afternoon. As indicated in the illustration, the whole area where the dirt road crosses the creek is all cut away and blocked off by heavy machinery and construction. They are building something major there (I heard a large retention dam?). Impossible to pedal through at the moment. So, I went up Coffee Grinder and found a connector trail that headed into the little neighborhood to the east. I could have just gone to the Coffee Grinder trailhead but, I was looking for the quickest way across.

Name:  CC Map.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  40.4 KB
    Are we there yet?

12. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Has anybody ridden it after the rain?

I rode Corner Canyon tonight, everything is in great condition at the moment. A couple of mud puddles but no muddy trails to damage.

Time to bring this thread back to the top with winter approaching.

I rode Corner Canyon today. EQ to Rattler to Ghost falls is currently dry for those interested. Ditto for Saddler, Quail Trail and North Ghost all of which can be combined into some great winter loops as they tend to melt out early and stay dry.

Upper Ghost is a muddy mess. Rattler is good to Ghost Falls but not beyond. Canyon Hollow, Ann's and Rush should all be avoided to prevent damaging the trails. The pictures were taken at Ghost Falls and you can see the trail turns to mud and snow at that point.

Name:  20151120_115630.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  20151120_115702.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  20151120_115514.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  20151120_115520.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  119.6 KB

16. Likes REDFOX liked this post
    Got some bad intel telling me that Ghost is in great shape. I headed up CC road to the top of Ghost at the Jacobs Ladder trail head. No chains or signs so I assumed the intel was good. A hundred yards down I was on packed slush. I stopped to see if I was causing trail damage - just tracks in the snow, no mud. A little bit of damp tacky trail on the east side for another hundred yards, feeling good. Then it went to shit... mud, sticky slimey mud. I got off and walked the bike trynig to do as little damage as possible... I walked all the way to the bridge at the falls, tires gummed up with the rear sliding not rolling. Twice I had to dig the mud out of the rear triangle just to allow the wheel to roll. Early on during my hike I rolled the bike wide on the leaves and grass to avoid mud... this just adds fiber to the mud making it clog up all the quicker! There were tire tracks - both standard and fat bike - that must have been when it was a bit more frozen as they were not deep at all.

After a long hike to the falls the trail suddenly was in great shape. One small spot of mud 3/4 of the way back to the BST. I railed Rattler back to the BST then dropped into the canyon and out through Berms and Rollers - track down the middle was fine but the berms on the west side were a no go.

On the upsie - the new Pivot Mach 6 is an awesome ride...

Ask here for conditions as I ride CC every day it's ridable. Often when folks say Ghost is good they actually mean the north side trails up to Ghost Falls.

As of yesterday rattler and north ghost were both good to Ghost Falls.

EQ to the 3-way is good. Gasline is good. BST from 3-way to upper road is good. Complete Creekview is good (not the cutoff)

Everything else is a muddy mess.

If Thursdays storm is as advertised CC will be shut down for the winter.

Another option to see what is ridable is to join the Bogley group on Strava and than it's easy to check my tracks for the day and get a good idea of what is ridable. I normally ride about 20 miles with 2000' of elevation gain a day in CC, which equals out to about two laps of the canyon bottom to top so I cover a lot of trails. Right now I'm only getting about 10 miles and 1000' a day as there is just not a lot of ridable trail open.

Add BST north to the bridge, Saddler and Quail Trail to the above that are now open. They should remain great for one more day so get out and ride.

I was able to pound out about 15 miles and 1600' today. Life is good

Nice, we are headed up tonight.

I just turned 15 miles and 1600' feet in Corner Canyon doing laps on the lower trails, and then it began to snow. I'm thinking this will probably shut the canyon down for the winter.

22. Likes REDFOX liked this post
    I got another day in, as CC was just sprinkled with snow last night. Trail conditions haven't changed from above.

Name:  20151211_103239.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  145.4 KB

Name:  20151211_110828.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  20151211_110724.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  20151211_103300.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  83.3 KB

I've been trail running 4 or 5 times a week in Corner Canyon. I just thought you guys might like to see some pictures as there is 3' to 4' of snow at the top (Peak View Trailhead). Potato Hill, Ann's and Canyon Hollow are being groomed so they are open to fat tire bikes. No one has been down rush in over a month. Most the other routes have been packed by snow shoes and trail runners.

25. Likes REDFOX liked this post
    I may have to breakdown and pickup a fat tire bike...

I'll be getting a fatbike late summer when Trek offers them to employees again at a deep, deep discount. I should have picked one up last summer but, delayed too long and they ran out. With that being said, I'm having a grand time x-country skiing up AF Canyon and Round Valley. The snow this year is incredible and I've been going about 4 times a week!
    Are we there yet?