Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Corner Canyon Conditions

I rode CC today, everything on the Draper side is excellent. Rush, Ghost, Canyon, Maple Hollow are all hero dirt.

I didn't ride the Lehi side so I can't say. Levitate and Vertigo can be a little slow drying out.

2. Likes whansen liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment but, I did get to pedal the Valley Vista trails late yesterday afternoon and nearly ran over this beautiful creature. He was about the size of the palm of my hand. Name:  23722226_10215163976397673_901725827876060556_n.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  146.0 KB
    Are we there yet?

5. Likes devo_stevo, whansen, Iceaxe liked this post
    Corner Canyon is primo today. Happy Thanksgiving!

CC is a great way to get above the smog as it's clear and warm up top. I suggest turning laps on Levitate and Vertigo using the new Woods Hollow Trail as the return. Mercer Hollow is also good to go.

8. Likes whansen liked this post
    Woods Hollow is an awesome downhill... I like it betterr than Levitate (watch out for the uphill crowd...).

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Woods Hollow is an awesome downhill... I like it betterr than Levitate (watch out for the uphill crowd...).
    I've gone down Woods Hollow a couple times and it's stop and go with all the uphill traffic, and that's on a day with small crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I've gone down Woods Hollow a couple times and it's stop and go with all the uphill traffic, and that's on a day with small crowds.
    Night ride it... wife shuttles me and a friend... no crowds.

Vertigo is another good night ride, thugh I tend to keep the tires on the ground when I can't see my landings!

If you are looking to get above the inversion, AF Canyon is riding good right now. Fatbike not needed (but, way fun!). Yesterday afternoon.

Name:  AF Dec12-2017.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  105.9 KB
    Are we there yet?

13. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    So what has been open in Corner? Better yet, what WAS open? Snowmageddon on the way...

Gas Line, North Ghost Falls, Rattler, BST East to the bridge, Quail Trail, Saddler, Aqua Duct and Creek View are all completely dry, Everything else is a quagmire and should be avoided. You can put together some fun loops with the trails mentioned.

16. Likes accadacca, double moo liked this post
    Someone posted Monday morning that they had showshoed up Canyon Hollow and down Ann's and that it was rideable. I was skeptical, but had to try it. I talked my wife into dropping me and a friend at the top of the new subdivision so I could drop into PeakView to roll from there.

The 1/4 mile from the subdivision to PeakView was drifted pretty much and we had to hike most of the way. Across the corral was just as bad - we were following a single set of snowshoe tracks at that point. Taking the Brock's Cut Off to Canyon Hollow wasn't much better - hike a bike for maybe 60% of the distance. When we got to the intersection is was obvious that there werre a couple of more snowshoe sets packing the trail. Heading down we were able to pedal some and hike some for the next 1/4-1/2 mile. A few of the steeper sections allowed to roll better but still needed pedaling - downhill!

About 1/2 way down you could tell that there were more showshoe tracks - like some folks had hiked up part way and turned around. The more traffic the better the trail got. I led the whole way, my friend noted that staying in my tracks made it rideable, just hard to stay in them. WE talked that if a half dozen bikes would hit it just once we would have a rideable route. By the time we got to the Ghost connector it was rideable - tough going but at least we were upright.

Cutting across the Silica Pit was just a push in 8-10" of loose snow. The ramp back up to the temple was rideable on and off. We turned down just shy of Coyote trail head and rolled the trail/road to the tunnel - rideable but sketchy.

Let me just say that the smiley guy who posted that he had showshoed it must not ride a fat bike. As in he has no clue as to what is and isn't rideable - but I do thank him for making tracks and providing a start for us to build upon.

18. Likes accadacca liked this post
    With the weather yesterday, Tuesday, I thought that if only a few people had tried Canyon Hollow it would be pretty rideable. Again I met some buds and had the wife drop us at the top just before 8:00 pm. The stretch from the Subdivision to Peak View was just like Monday night - I thought that I hade made a big error and was in for another couple of miles of hike a bike.

The corral was windblown with the trail somewhat findable and better packed than Monday night. 2/3 of the way across the corral it was tight enough to mount up and go for it. It looked like a couple of more bikers had made the trek as there were now multiple tracks packing a rideable trail. In fact... I was able to ride from there all the way to the tunnel at the Equestrian Center. It was tough going in spots, slid out numerous times on the corners, and I came off a couple of times... but I was able to ride it top to bottom, There were 3 of us, so I'm guessing the trail is just that much better and packed after our passing.

Having done this 2 nights in a row I can say that if you want to fatbike Canyon Hollow it is GOOD-TO-GO. I recommend riding top to bottom as the snow is soft enough to make uphill traction difficult to maintain.

Thanks for the reports, double moo. AF Canyon is still very, very good and the Forest Service has been grooming the normal fatbike routes at least twice a week over the past 3 weeks or so, (since we started to get some actual snow!). I've been reporting their grooming efforts over on the Fat Bike Utah facebook page:
    Are we there yet?