Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Corner Canyon Conditions

Fun with routes.

So as some of you know I ride CC almost every day so I'm always looking for new trail combinations and I found a fun one this week and it avoids all the gas line construction going on in the canyon.

Simply start at the base of the Oak Hollow Trail and ride it up to BST and than ride BST northeast to the Bear Canyon Bridge and back. It makes a great ride. Currently contains no mud and has some great sections that see little traffic. The Oak Hollow section of trail is really fun and is virtually unknown or used outside of the local residents who live nearby.

To reach Oak Hollow Trail park at the Draper Outdoor Pool (657 E Vestry Rd) The trail begins at the round-a-bout just west of the pool.

Out to the bridge and back is approximately 15 miles round trip with 1500' of elevation gain. The best part is the trail has no real long sustained climbs and is pretty evenly spaced with up and down sections so the elevation gain actually feels like a lot less.

If you want more trail or elevation side trips to Ghost Falls and over Potato/Red Potato Hill can be added. Up Red Potato is one of my favorite climbs as it looks menacing but is actually pretty gradual.

Those who belong to the Bogley group on Strava can look at my route yesterday and see my tracks.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/519628517

Name:  2016-03-17 12.25.24.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  85.2 KB

2. Likes accadacca liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rode up the upper Ghost trail to CC road, up the road around the top, down and up Brock's to the Trees cut off and onto Rush. Rush was dry all the way, not even a damp spot. Most of the Trees section was chewed to crap from the deer and elk walking down the trail when muddy. At the intersection where Trees meets Rush you have to walk you bike across the construction - Please be respectful of their work. Once we got lower we cut back across to Ghost falls to avoid the lower construction sections.

5. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    I checked out all the CC trails over the past two days.

Canyon Hollow is still closed with mud above the Ghost Falls cut-off and will be closed for at least a week.

Ann's is still closed with mud above Potato Hill (both east and west) and will be closed for at least a week

Rush is currently one giant piece of shit because of the new gas line and I'd just avoid it until June unless you like playing hike a bike and dodging construction workers and equipment.

Creek View is closed because of the new gas line.

The Equestrian Center to the lower CC road is currently a two-way trail so use caution.

Brocks is officially closed as it cross through a construction zone.

Rattler is open.

Ghost Falls is open

BST is open

Potato Hill is open

Red Potato is open

Oak Hollow is open

Canyon Hollow is open

Add Lower Rush to the open trails list. From the mid-point Canyon Hollow junctuon down is what I mean by this.

Add Maple Hollow to the closed trails because of mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I checked out all the CC trails over the past two days.

Canyon Hollow is still closed with mud above the Ghost Falls cut-off and will be closed for at least a week.

Ann's is still closed with mud above Potato Hill (both east and west) and will be closed for at least a week

Rush is currently one giant piece of shit because of the new gas line and I'd just avoid it until June unless you like playing hike a bike and dodging construction workers and equipment.

Creek View is closed because of the new gas line.

The Equestrian Center to the lower CC road is currently a two-way trail so use caution.

Brocks is officially closed as it cross through a construction zone.

Rattler is open.

Ghost Falls is open

BST is open

Potato Hill is open

Red Potato is open

Oak Hollow is open

Canyon Hollow is open
    How about now?

How much snow is corner canyon getting?

I'm hoping it is rideable by Thursday morning...

Right now there is 2" of snow on my lawn. There is probably 4" at Ghost Falls and Potato Hill. I'll keep you up to date, but we're supposed to have several storms rolling through for the next few days.

Here are a few photos from this morning. I figured once again that I would take my Fat Bike out and ride the CC road from Orson to see how it looked. Early in the morning the ground is much colder too and in many cases frozen. The CC road had hardly anything on it when I started at Orson. It then started to have a skiff here and there as I started and a touch more when I got to the rattler connector. The lower trails (from the rattler connector off gaseline down) are in decent shape. They are sandy for the most part and the snow didn't really stick to them much, just a skiff here and there. I bet they will be dry by Friday morning. Once you start getting higher up on rattler nearing ghost there is a bit more snow and once you cross the bridge is goes from 1" to 4" on top.

I also went across the BST It had a good amount of snow in places as it climbed in elevation and the wind had blown snow across the trail. My Fat Bike worked like a dream! It really floats over the snow and I had hardly any mud on it at all when I finished. Just a few splashes from the normal puddles that form in the middle of the trail. When my tires were on dirt (even the higher trails) there was plenty of traction and I did not spin. Once the snow melts if could get muddy for a bit though. I bet it will melt off pretty fast though. Above ghost falls could take a while...

Corner Canyon Conditions

I rode early this morning. Up from EQ, gasoline to rattler connector, up rattler to ghost. I went a little ways past the bridge at ghost and it got squishy so I turned around. It was all good on those trails up to ghost.

Then I rode canyon hollow to rush, silica pit and over to coyote. Rush and a few other spots were a little soft still. I would give it another day on that section.

From there I went up potato, down red potato, BST and oak hollow. The upper trails were a soft in places with a little mud in the deep trees. The lower trails below Mike Weir were okay. It'll all be dry by Saturday I think, but then comes more storms!

I seized a rear wheel bearing Monday and it ruined my rear hub, so I'm without a bike until about Wednesday of next week when my new rear wheel gets here. I thought I could just replace the bearing but when I pulled it apart the bearing had come apart and the bearing race welded itself into the hub.

Ice, what brand of hub do you have ? I have never had that happen, however I have had to replace the freehub body on shimano xt hubs before.

The wheels are Stans, not exactly sure of the hub. But so far we haven't been able to get the damaged race on the none drive side out of the hub. We spent some time messing with it but I want my bike fixed ASAP so I ordered a new wheel.

I've got a spare 9 speed 29'er wheel if you want to borrow it until yours comes in (if you're running 9 speed that is).
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I've got a spare 9 speed 29'er wheel if you want to borrow it until yours comes in (if you're running 9 speed that is).

The freehub is the same for 9 or 10 speed. All you'd have to do is switch the cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    The freehub is the same for 9 or 10 speed. All you'd have to do is switch the cassette.
    That's what I thought but, wasn't 100% sure.
    Are we there yet?

Thanks for the offer! I think I'm going to blow the dust off my old Diamondback DR8 and give it a try. It was a good bike but it's old enough it has center pull brakes. I'm hoping to have my new wheel by Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Thanks for the offer! I think I'm going to blow the dust off my old Diamondback DR8 and give it a try. It was a good bike but it's old enough it has center pull brakes. I'm hoping to have my new wheel by Wednesday.
    Sounds good. Let me know if you change your mind. I think my spare wheel set still has tubeless tires mounted to them even.
    Are we there yet?

Corner Canyon Conditions

Upper Ghost Falls Trail...

21. Likes whansen liked this post
    Corner Canyon warning... the Canyon Hollow trail is now trash as the new gas line now cuts through it at several locations. Everything above the lower diversion dam and below the Rush mid-point access is now trashed and most of the trail no longer exists. You have been warned.

It appears Canyon Hollow can be accessed from Ghost Falls and you can ride to the top, but that section is still closed because of mud. It might be open by next weekend depending on the weather this week.

And in the good news department... I got my new rear wheel and rode CC today. It felt like I was riding a rocket. That seized bearing must have really been dragging for some time as my bike was super fast today.

23. Likes REDFOX liked this post

Well...the sun is out a bit.