Thread: 6 days in The Maze (with a bit of Arches the day before)

6 days in The Maze (with a bit of Arches the day before)

Ever since enjoying several days in the Needles 12 years ago, I've wanted to see Canyonlands on the other side of the Colorado, and last fall I finally spent 6 days in The Maze. But before heading into the Maze we had an afternoon to kill and so we headed into Arches and caught sunset at Delicate Arch.

Name:  _MG_2644 imp rs.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  _MG_2629 imp rs.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  _MG_2612 imp rs.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  _MG_2666 imp  3 rs.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  192.8 KB

Name:  _MG_2608.JPG imp rs.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  _MG_2680 imp rs.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  138.9 KB

The day also reminded us of the importance of getting down the water for the half and full day hikes of the following 6 days in non-UK temperatures in the 90s.
    Day 2 saw us visit Horseshoe Canyon before camping at High Spur - a fine panoramic sunset viewpoint
    I wasn't aware of.

Name:  Alcove Panorama 2 real sky imp.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  67.8 KB

[ATTACH]78279[/ATTACH

]Name:  Hight Spur panorama imp resized.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  _MG_2737 rs.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  34.5 KB

Unfortunately the predicted storms put paid to our canyoneering in High Spur the next day.
    But at least the day wasn't the write off we expected. Just as we reached the top of the Flint Trail beams of sunlight came through and by the time we reached camp at Golden Stairs - not where we'd planned to camp - fantastic golden light kept improving on the distant Fins. Unfortunately, while I had a tripod out initially, after we then moved to a closer vantage point and the light got better I didn't set it up again meaning the images lack the sharpness I might have achieved.

Name:  _MG_2781 imp 2 rs.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  _MG_2775 imp rs.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  facebook fins imp rs.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  _MG_2761 cropped  4 rs.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  86.9 KB

The cancelled canyoneering meant the following morning was a leisurely one flicking through Edward Abbey and Monkey Wrench books and the chance to reach the Maze Overlook well before dark. Shortly before the Overlook was a stop at the head of Horse Canyon.

Name:  horse canyon imp rs.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  51.2 KB

As we reached the brow of the hill suddenly that breathtaking view opened up. Pictures don't do it justice

Name:  _MG_2856 imp 3 rs.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  Maze Panorama2.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  74.3 KB

In the morning I woke up before dark just to walk the other way along the rim from camp before we had to head off. And as my friend remarked, it was the best groover view he will ever see.
    To save enduring the slow drive round to the start of the Fins Trail, our driver dropped us off at the top of the Golden Stairs trail. It took quite a bit longer than we thought to traverse down the cliff and maybe wasn't the best idea as we then faced the first of several races against the clock to beat darkness falling. We had around 5 hours to do 12 miles out and back to see some great fins, including route finding and photos.
    At our turnaround time we'd only reached the junction with the side canyon that contains the best fins, but we all realised we'd pretty much wasted our effort if we turned around then. "We'll give it 20 minutes" said our trip leader. It was almost a jog through the sand but as the views got better and better we kept going for 40, before stopping for another 10 to admire the view!

Name:  _MG_2873 imp 2 rs.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  77.8 KB

It would have been nice to have had time to explore further, but where we were may well have been the best bit.
    The late turnaround for the "race" back was in cooler temperatures and we just beat the dark, but then drove straight past our Lizard Rock campsite.
    Again what I thought was just a place to camp turned out to be a beautiful location come sunrise

.Name:  _MG_2793 imp rs.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  79.7 KB

The next day we did the Pete's Mesa loop. It was hot. Knowing we were leaving the Maze the next day - and may never get to return - we still decided afterwards to also set off on the Chocolate Drops trail at around 4pm. I guess a 2nd 15 mile plus day in succession. Again we wanted to reach our goal and reached the drops, but realising we'd maybe overdone it we didn't risk looking around much beyond the first Drop, which was a shame, but at least we got there. This time it was dark before we made it back to the trailhead but our head torches got us through that last 10 minutes.
    Our final day, after an hour in the Dolls House,

Name:  _MG_2933 imp rs.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  88.1 KB

we met our rafting boat at Spanish Bottom for the Cataract Canyon trip down to Hite. And here's one looking over Dead Horse Point on the return to Moab

Name:  _MG_3175 imp rs.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  81.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by kaniukr; 03-09-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: pictures haven't come out

2. Likes oldno7, accadacca liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks for posting! What part of London are you from?

Balham in London - do you know London? It's about 7 miles south of the centre

It would have been nice to have had time to explore further, but where we were may well have been the best bit.
    Actually, if you go up canyon from those fins, it does get better. There's a huge arch up there as well; the largest in Canyonlands.

If you were curious as to some more things seen on the route, here's a trip report:

http://www.summitpost.org/an-a-maze-...-report/565737

Unfortunately, we also missed a lot of stuff. We were right by a really great pictograph panel, but we missed it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thanks Scott. Do you have any more pics of Sand Tanks past those fins. Yes, I was aware of the arch but we set off too late really. Apart from that, are there more big fins further up past the ones we turned at? what's it like beyond there?
    I've seen your summitpost actually before - it was one of those that inspired me to go there. Seen quite a few of your great reports. How often does your son get out hiking, he seems very fit.

Quote Originally Posted by kaniukr View Post
    Balham in London - do you know London? It's about 7 miles south of the centre
    Yes, I lived in Holborn, then Shepherds Bush for a bit.

Apart from that, are there more big fins further up past the ones we turned at? what's it like beyond there?
    I think you saw the best concentration of fins. The arch isn't far above where the fins end.

How often does your son get out hiking, he seems very fit.
    We try to go hiking or climbing on about 140 days a year, but that counts evenings after work. We get out on maybe ~110 full days a year, maybe a little more.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Hi Scott,
    It's quite hard to match up with certainty from the head of the canyon which fins you're looking at when you're in the canyon, but I took these shots from just off the road and I'm pretty certain it's the same canyon. I can't see the arch but maybe it is actually in these frames but just hidden behind some other fin or wall.

Name:  _MG_2901 imp rs.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  _MG_2902 rs.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  88.7 KB

12. Likes blueblazeme liked this post